The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok to save on the guesswork and possibly a wasted brew, could someone kindly recommend a commercial brew for me to try, which displays obvious phenolic character? Ta!

Ok to save on the guesswork and possibly a wasted brew, could someone kindly recommend a commercial brew for me to try, which displays obvious phenolic character? Ta!
Franziskaner Wheat Beer has a good phenolic hit. Probably more than that you'd get with a Belgian beer. It's avaliable at most Tesco or Sainsbury stores.

View attachment franziskaner-weissbier-wheatbeer-glass-1484258584-50532781-1c4a3ec1d72a43f32db77baef8e2a8e2.jpg

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

The phenols in wheat beers are quite clove like, but I find the phenolic character from Belgian yeasts more peppery and subtle, try something like Duvel or Delirium Tremens (both available in Tesco) alongside a Franziskaner to see the difference.

Also available in Tesco is the Stone Cali-Belgique IPA which I find has a more pronounced phenolic character than Duvel.

If you want to get this sort of flavour from the cml Belgian yeast, you will either have to ferment at a higher than normal temperature or stress the yeast (which I inadvertently did as I have no temperature control). I suspect that it will only give slight clove if you brew between 20 -25C but it may be an interesting experiment for someone. Perhaps start the fermentation at 22C then slowly increase by 1 degree per day?

Another way to get a pronounced phenolic character is to do a step mash with a Ferulic Acid rest at around 43c, this enhances the precursors to phenolics produced during fermentation.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Has anyone experienced low attenuation with the CML Real Ale yeast yet, or did I just under pitch?

Brewed my "biggest" beer so far at a whopping 1.064 :oops: I only used 1 packet of rehydrated yeast but it appears to have stopped at 1.024 which is only 61%. I usually get mid 70s with this yeast.
I gave it a little stir at the weekend and put it somewhere warmer to see if I can drag a few more points out of it. (mashed at 66c)
Should I have used 2 packets of yeast?
I'm also wondering if the wheat malt I used would affect the FG readings? My last porter accidentally got a double dose of oats and also had a high FG.

Has anyone experienced low attenuation with the CML Real Ale yeast yet, or did I just under pitch?

Brewed my "biggest" beer so far at a whopping 1.064 :oops: I only used 1 packet of rehydrated yeast but it appears to have stopped at 1.024 which is only 61%. I usually get mid 70s with this yeast.
I gave it a little stir at the weekend and put it somewhere warmer to see if I can drag a few more points out of it. (mashed at 66c)
Should I have used 2 packets of yeast?
I'm also wondering if the wheat malt I used would affect the FG readings? My last porter accidentally got a double dose of oats and also had a high FG.

My brown ale stopped at 1.014 from 1.049 which gave me “just” 71%, but I got 77% on my stout.

This is in a darkish rye ale so perhaps that's it.
The sample tasted very good so I'll see if there's been any change this evening and keg it if not.

Tried a mild and a bitter today both brewed with the ale yeast. The mild is really quite good as against the bitter which is 'just beer',not nasty in any way just bland. From here on it's a liquid yeast if i do a bitter,still not produced one that i can honestly say i must re brew.:-(

Tried a mild and a bitter today both brewed with the ale yeast. The mild is really quite good as against the bitter which is 'just beer',not nasty in any way just bland. From here on it's a liquid yeast if i do a bitter,still not produced one that i can honestly say i must re brew.:-(

What about London ale3? I bought some for a NEIPA but thinking about trying an Adnams clone with it.

Does anyone have an idea of the cell count in a pack of CML yeast?

I'm brewing a 19ltr batch soon with an SG of 1.058. Would one pack of yeast be enough?

I'm brewing a 19ltr batch soon with an SG of 1.058. Would one pack of yeast be enough?

I'm fairly sure the cell count is given on the description on their ebay listing. Anyhow I made an ale of exactly 1058 OG a few months ago as it happens. As is my wont I used just one pack. Can't remember if I used the Real Ale or US Pale ( sorry my record keeping is scant to put it mildly ) but certainly don't recall any issues.

Good question, unfortunately not terribly easy to answer though. The data sheet says >5 billion cells per gram, so >50 billion per packet which is considerably short of the recommended pitch rate. However according to Mr Malty (aka J Zainasheff coauthor of the Yeast book) he has done cell counts on various dry yeasts and they are always around 20B per gram, meaning about 200B per pack, true even of US-05 which according to the data sheet has >6B per gram.

However in Brewing Better Beer, Gordon Strong recommends using 2 packs of dry yeast for anything over 1.050 and 3 packs over 1.075.

As you can see it's not too obvious which is correct, although plenty of people use only a single pack of dry yeast (including myself) without any problems.

As you can see it's not too obvious which is correct, although plenty of people use only a single pack of dry yeast (including myself) without any problems.

Me too, as stated previous. Maybe,then, it's a matter of yeast 'quality' and strength, if CML stuff performs so admirably despite having less than optimum cell-counts?

Anyways...today, for the first time I used some CML Belgian yeast. Tipped the pack into half a cup of water to rehydrate, and I almost snapped the thermometer when I went to stir it - it had formed the most dense sludge on the bottom of the cup! WTF?!? Is this normal? And I could swear that I got a whiff of pear drops. This one's gonna be interesting...

Back