Citric acid to lower pH level

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use citric acid but it's not as flavour neutral as some other acids. I use lactic acid which is cheap and widely available from hb stores. Another popular choice is CRS which is a blend of hydrochloric and sulphuric acid.

Fosforic acid in the mash, lactic acid if necessary in the sparge water.

Do you use a pH meter or pH strips?

What do you want to brew? The used malt has a big influence on your pH, from too high (pilsner and wheat malt), to too low (dark crystal, roasted and chocolate and black malts).

What I have found out is that making brewing liquor from scratch, and using 100 ppm Ca, together with pale malt, gives a mash with a perfect pH.

For more information, see: http://beerandwinejournal.com/easy-aqua/

Phosphoric acid works well for me. I've used lactic and CRS too. CRS is good but more expensive and more dilute than 75% phosphoric acid.

CRS will add roughly equal quantities for sulphate and chloride so you need to take that into account.

Citric acid has a strong taste so I would avoid.

I read online​ where citric acid has been used in the mash to enhance the hop characteristics in hops such as Cascade,Citra etc and this is one of my reasons for asking 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

I routinely chuck a tsp of citric acid in the full quantity of liqour prior to brewing and my ale is better than any I've made by faffing about with CRS, and at those levels it is utterly undetectable. Go for it.

I routinely chuck a tsp of citric acid in the full quantity of liqour prior to brewing and my ale is better than any I've made by faffing about with CRS, and at those levels it is utterly undetectable. Go for it.
Oh don't worry I've already ordered some as the beer I'm trying to clone has a pH of 4.9 and I have never checked my pH and shall be the first run on my mashtun 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Citric acid can be used to acidify the mash...as long as the tap water has fairly low alkalinity. If the alkalinity is higher, you will likely be adding enough acid to create flavor effects in the beer. While the H+ protons from the acid will be neutralized by the alkalinity (or vice versa), the remainder of the acid (citrate ion) can flavor the beer. Citrate is easily detected by most tasters and you can't add much before its tasted. Lactic acid has a significantly higher taste threshold and can produce a less objectionable result.

Back