Golden Syrup/Belgian Candi Syrup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobjack

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just wanted to run something passed you all....

Am I right in thinking that Golden Syrup and Belgian Candi Syrup are essentially the same things? Both are made by inverting regular cane sugar. With that in mind, could you decant a tin of Golden Syrup into a pan and heat it to darken it to use to your liking?

Its liable to burn before reaching crack point you will have to bring the heat up very gentle . Also a expensive way to make a small amount of candi sugar why not just use the Golden syrup as it is if thats the colour you require, a darker candi sugar is easily made from normal sugar i made a 2kg batch of very dark stuff last week. it keeps fine in a plastic container

Golden syrup is partially inverted so yes, I think you could do what your proposing.

Cool, thanks for your reply.

It seems weird that I've never seen or heard people doing this before considering the method and ingredients for both Golden and Belgian Candi Syrup are the same (aren't they?) and Golden Syrup is loads cheaper than Belgian Candi....

What triggered the initial question was seeing a load of GS on offer in Lidl :lol:

Syrup, soft ball, hard ball, caramel, crack...its all the same, just sugar (sucrose) heated to a different stage of cooking. Treacle, Black treacle, again, just sugar.

Cool, thanks for your reply.

It seems weird that I've never seen or heard people doing this before considering the method and ingredients for both Golden and Belgian Candi Syrup are the same (aren't they?) and Golden Syrup is loads cheaper than Belgian Candi....

What triggered the initial question was seeing a load of GS on offer in Lidl :lol:

And a 1lb bag of granulated sugar is even cheaper.

Tanzanite states that it may well burn before it reaches crack point, I think the way around this would to make syrup rather than rocks so your never intending to reach crack point. There a number of youtube vids on how to make both syrup and rocks. I think the only difference is that you boil off most of the water to make rocks then let it set.

There are also vids on making Golden Syrup and the process looks identical to candi rocks/syrup

True. It seems pretty easy to make both GS and candy sugar from the youtube vids I've seen. The only point of buying it is convenience as it seems you at least need a bit of time to make both

you can make 2kg in 20mins . its just the same stuff used to make peanut brittle, with out the peanuts lol. you stop it just before your required colour it continues cooking after pouring into the tin.

Tanzanite states that it may well burn before it reaches crack point, I think the way around this would to make syrup rather than rocks so your never intending to reach crack point. There a number of youtube vids on how to make both syrup and rocks. I think the only difference is that you boil off most of the water to make rocks then let it set.

There are also vids on making Golden Syrup and the process looks identical to candi rocks/syrup

Crack is burnt sugar, it will set solid, like glass. The only reason you heat the sugar in water, is because its more controllable. All the water has to boil off before the caramelizing can begin. When making any kind of "coloured" sugar, its more about temprature.
Loads of info on t`web...but all the temps are the same

you can make 2kg in 20mins . its just the same stuff used to make peanut brittle, with out the peanuts lol. you stop it just before your required colour it continues cooking after pouring into the tin.

I that for Candi syrup of darkening Golden Syrup? As the vids for making Candi Syrup say you need much more time than 20mins. If its only 20mins to make candi syrup I might have a go

True. It seems pretty easy to make both GS and candy sugar from the youtube vids I've seen. The only point of buying it is convenience as it seems you at least need a bit of time to make both

That was exactly the reason I thought. I assumed that as the GS was already inverted that it took a little bit of time and fuss out (buying and adding the citric acid) :)

Yup, I'd be aiming to make the syrup :)

I that for Candi syrup of darkening Golden Syrup? As the vids for making Candi Syrup say you need much more time than 20mins. If its only 20mins to make candi syrup I might have a go

Agreed, it also depends on what colour you're aiming for. Darker Candi takes quite some time!

Crack is burnt sugar, it will set solid, like glass. The only reason you heat the sugar in water, is because its more controllable. All the water has to boil off before the caramelizing can begin. When making any kind of "coloured" sugar, its more about temprature.
Loads of info on t`web...but all the temps are the same

Crack is not burnt sugar, crack is setting point for hard, the water used is just enough to fully dissolve the sugar not control it. that why minimum water is used because has you say the water needs to evaporate before the sugar can become molten. WE e are making Candi sugar here NOT syrup. Syrup is only candi sugar dissolved in water.

That was exactly the reason I thought. I assumed that as the GS was already inverted that it took a little bit of time and fuss out (buying and adding the citric acid) :)

The only reason you add citric acid, is to cut any grease present. Just wipe your pan out with a little lemon juice

The acid is to splits the bond in the disaccaride (table sugar) into two monosaccarides. There a name for the process but I forgot what it is :oops:

correct it hydrolises the suctrose to stop crystalisation producing fructose among other things, not a chemistry expert but know my way around a kitchen. The lemon juice is not there too degrease the pan ???? We find Lemons in various forms?:thumb:

Latest posts

Back