Does dry hopping add flavour?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not possible to answer either 'yes' or 'no'

This happens!

(Yes)

Screenshot_2017-03-29-11-04-55.png

Long boil - bitterness.
Short boil - flavour.
Dry hop flavour and aroma.

There is also an added complication in that hops also contain beta acids as well as alpha acids. beta acids are isomerised by prolonged heating to the bitter form. the beta acids also isomerise to a bitter form but when left for prolonged periods in beer.
Beta acids give a more stringent dry bitterness that is obvious in aged beer, this is why when you open a very old bottle of beer it has a different flavour.

Some people dry hop for extended periods and describe grassiness in their beers, this could be the beta acids coming into play and is why I tend to leave dry hops in for a few days only, 4 or 5. As mentioned previously hop teas can also add a significant aroma/flavour boost just added before bottling.

As for the original question, Put simply. YES otherwise I have wasted hundreds of pounds without noticing that my beers have no hop flavour.

Hi!
In the light of your response, how do you introduce flavour hops to your beers?
Late additions to the boil, and whirlpooling. Hops added at 60 minutes will have very little flavor other than bitterness, but dry hops can skew our perception towards one flavor or another by the aroma.

Taste and smell are very connected. The smell of something can convince us we are tasting it - a form of confirmation bias.

To test this, try smelling different foods or hops and then taste the same beer. The beer will often taste different, depending on the smells we've just experienced.

straight yes or no please as there is a debate currently going on on a facebook brewing forum,yes we know they add bittering and aroma but in your opinions without blinding us with science just personel experience
YES or NO:thumb:Yes from me
Slightly, but not as much as making a 'tea' of hops. Different hop have different results for the same time in the boil. you may vary between 5 mins after flame out or boil for 10,15, or 20 mins depending on the type of hop, the amount (gms) chosen, and the amount of flavour oils it possesses. Good luck.

Yes,,,, but,,,I have learned some better methods.

I was regularly dry hopping with T90's post fermentation'ish (1.016) @20*C Noticed as I pulled the bag I could wring lovely aromatic tea. Got a Randall, much better and slowly circulated for 30 mins, but had to add lots of rice hulls to stop clogging. Then I tried leaf hop in the Randall - no clogging or sludge loads of aroma. Winner! athumb..

Now got a 3L Airpot for my T90's (in bag no rice hulls) Add 2L liquor @60*C and leave 30 mins and pump out hop tea from bottom. Mega aroma boost!

Still learning!wink...

Latest posts

Back