Beer about to be made cheaper post brexit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Historically, every time the government has been in trouble with finance they have turned to beer: Napoleonic and two world wars spring to mind. If anything, Brexit will increase duty on beer.

Historically, every time the government has been in trouble with finance they have turned to beer: Napoleonic and two world wars spring to mind. If anything, Brexit will increase duty on beer.
Just what I was about to say. At "Shut up about Barclay-Perkins" you can get the whole history about the taxing of beer starting from the Napoleonic wars until after WWII, and how it shaped British beer.
Taxes on British beer to spice the exchequer seem to be a fine British tradition, and aren't conservatives all about tradition?

Does it grow in our sunny climes?

It sure does. In 2009 (I rember cos we'd just moved to a place with a huge garden - still here!). Very easy to grow. Mine got to about 7ft tall and with leaves as big as dustbin lids. Problem with tobacco is dealing with it after harvest. I never did dry/cure/shred it properly and gave up, but I'm sure a little research and money spent on equipment could remedy that. Gonna look into it but trust me it has no problem in our climate.

well anything to do with the government will cost us all at the end of the day
so just grow your own grain and hops and catch the rainwater.
then we all be happy well after a few pints that is :lol::thumb:

so look like we all be making moonshine soon just love to do that
Best to make a high - 18 to 20% sugar wash - lots of instructions on you tube fine/filter it and just add flavour from the stuff available from your local HBS. Legal and safer - no need to buy or make a still. And most folk drink their spirits cut with water or mixers to about 20% anyway.
May give it a try later this year
Cheers

Latest posts

Back