low cost living

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really boils my p++s that a section of our society are in full time employment yet rely on food banks to make ends meet and you can bet the people that set the "living wage' (minimum wage) has never had to live on it.

I have some links to a food bank and its very rare that people who are working full time on the minimum wage NEED to go to a food bank to make ends meet. What it tends to be is people who are working go to a food bank so they can spend the money on other things. As lot of these people will have better cars than me, spend a lot of money on things like smoking and drinking, tend to have sky tv or similar, etc.

We get regular report of people abusing the food banks. We've even been told that people have parked BMW X5's around the corner and then come in claiming they cant afford food. We've had people say they seen other people coming in that they know and they are rich and live in big detached houses with a good income. These people are literally taking food out of the mouths of the poor as there is only so much to go around.

I live in the South East as well where the minimum wage goes far less than up north where the cost of living is cheaper. The thing thats really annoys me is benefits, cost of living, minimum wage, etc should be based on the cost of living in that area. Keep the total bill the same and even it out so the whole country has the same standard of living.

Obviously if the living wage suddenly jumped to �£10 an hour it would cause a lot of problems for company owners but it will never happen it will continue to creep up by pence a year and the poor sods on it will continue to struggle.

Looks like they're stuck with their lot then. Best thing to do is refer to the link provided by the OP and make the best of what they have and stop moaning. Or get some qualifications and aspire to better things. I dunno, I ain't a politician. Maybe we should sack 99% of those truffle-pigs and split the savings made amongst the populace?

I have some links to a food bank and its very rare that people who are working full time on the minimum wage NEED to go to a food bank to make ends meet. What it tends to be is people who are working go to a food bank so they can spend the money on other things. As lot of these people will have better cars than me, spend a lot of money on things like smoking and drinking, tend to have sky tv or similar, etc.

We get regular report of people abusing the food banks. We've even been told that people have parked BMW X5's around the corner and then come in claiming they cant afford food. We've had people say they seen other people coming in that they know and they are rich and live in big detached houses with a good income. These people are literally taking food out of the mouths of the poor as there is only so much to go around.

I live in the South East as well where the minimum wage goes far less than up north where the cost of living is cheaper. The thing thats really annoys me is benefits, cost of living, minimum wage, etc should be based on the cost of living in that area. Keep the total bill the same and even it out so the whole country has the same standard of living.

While I think we have all heard the one about the guy with the flash car hiding it round the corner and using a food bank I do not believe it for a minute, I totally agree with your last paragraph.

While I think we have all heard the one about the guy with the flash car hiding it round the corner and using a food bank I do not believe it for a minute, I totally agree with your last paragraph.

Choose to believe it or not, but it has been confirmed by some very reliable sources. They tightened up their criteria for handing out food and a lot of the ones known not to need handouts suddenly disappeared.

Obviously i do not know 100% but Barrow-in-Furness is the nearest place that has food banks and believe me anyone parking a flash motor round the corner and using one would be instantly spotted and they would be strung up.

Down here in the south east, it's so crowded and socially fragmented, that people go about things pretty much anonymously.
It took years for the authorities to figure out that my Nigerian neighbour had a string of council properties she was sub-letting, not to mention a side line in arranging sham marriages.
Whole streets have a second row of slum houses in their back gardens backing onto service roads, no doubt populated with people who in the large part have no legal right to be here. They will be servicing the black market economy in the area working cash in hand.
The place is one big unmanageable mess, I don't think anybody really wants to acknowledge it because they can't even start to put things in order.

You been reading the Daily Mail too?

You cant just rock up to a food bank in a Beemer and ask for some food. You need a referral or voucher (e.g one of my clients was given a voucher from his mental health services counsellor for the local foodbank)

Back