Motorbike.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was plodding along on my bike 2/3 weeks ago and suddenly out of nowhere a triple passed me and shot off into the distance in a screaming blue haze. No idea how big it was, but it was red and no doubt very rare.

I was late to bikes and am on a bit of a hiatus after I moved house 7 years ago (no need for bike to get to work).. plus lost some of my bottle after kids too 😕

Had a good run though, only taken out by a car turning into my path once at slow speed

All kwacks
ER5 (after direct access course/test in 1999),
Upgraded to ZR7 a couple if years after that,
Then zrx1200s until I sold it - that was a great bike, comfy and torquey 😁

Not in a hurry for another one yet, might wait until the kids are a bit older, although I might have had it by then haha

Go for it chippy 🏍

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Meanwhile it's the old FJ's MOT tomorrow. That'll be summat like 11 years on the trot without so much as an advisory.

As predicted another MOT in the can with no advisories, though the tester muttered something about the horn could be a bit louder. I'll fit a relay, said I. Not bad going for a 28 year old mota, huh?

As predicted another MOT in the can with no advisories, though the tester muttered something about the horn could be a bit louder. I'll fit a relay, said I. Not bad going for a 28 year old mota, huh?
Nice one.Mine hasn't done that many miles since last year so shall be a wipe down for her.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I do maybe 1500 miles a year, mainly nipping to the coast and hunting down modern 'sportsbikes' of a Sunday afternoon!

Mine is currently​ undergoing a long overdue fettle...

IMG_20170604_202733951.jpg

IMG_20170607_195832422.jpg

Mine is currently​ undergoing a long overdue fettle...
I know that feeling.Mine got it about 4 year's back.
Stripped down to the frame,so had frame,tank,guards and side panels repainted,new handle bars, indicators, hand grips,shocks.
Replaced the exhaust as when I bought it back in 2001 it had a Motad 4 into 1 which was rotten at the collector box.Managed to get 4 into 2 slash cuts from the States for £360 and no jetting required.
All in just over a grand but it needed some TLC.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I love all this fettling and getting covered in gunge! I know every last nut and bolt on my sickle and no-one but me touches it! The Motad I fitted to it was utter junk and lasted 3 or 4 years - replaced with a full stainless 4 - 1 which is as good as new after at least 10 years and sounds immense. In 2004 I fitted a new chain and at the same time invented a semi-automatic lubrication system and I can hand on heart say I've never had to tighten it once in 19000 miles. Too tight by far to buy a Scottoiler but mine's better anyway.

I love all this fettling and getting covered in gunge! I know every last nut and bolt on my sickle and no-one but me touches it! The Motad I fitted to it was utter junk and lasted 3 or 4 years - replaced with a full stainless 4 - 1 which is as good as new after at least 10 years and sounds immense. In 2004 I fitted a new chain and at the same time invented a semi-automatic lubrication system and I can hand on heart say I've never had to tighten it once in 19000 miles. Too tight by far to buy a Scottoiler but mine's better anyway.
Never needed a scottoiler as having shaft drive is a bonus although learned a big lesson about a year after I bought the bike.Had a dodgy battery and wouldn't start of the button so pushed for a jump start but paid the price a few weeks later when I engaged third gear whilst driving and stripped the cush drive on the rear wheel and had to replace the tyre so stung me £180 and a few pints to the mate.
That's how we pay for services rendered,pay back at the bar,class.

Gerryjo, can't zoom in enough but is that a GS650GT? I've had a Katana 650 ( much missed). That was a shaftie of course, also an XJ900. For the life of me I can't understand why shaft drive isn't more widespread. You hear cobblers from folk saying it's too heavy, wrecks handling etc. Bet they've never ridden one.

Gerryjo, can't zoom in enough but is that a GS650GT? I've had a Katana 650 ( much missed). That was a shaftie of course, also an XJ900. For the life of me I can't understand why shaft drive isn't more widespread. You hear cobblers from folk saying it's too heavy, wrecks handling etc. Bet they've never ridden one.
Can we please stop all this bike stuff and talk about something sensible,like

budgies:hat::rofl:

I have one thing to say: CX650 Turbo.

That was me and shaft drives finished for good!

You're bang on @Gunge.
Replaced the fork seals a few years back and ordered for a GRAD but low and behold it turns out that it was a GTZ.
It had been exported for the US market from the UK and ended up coming back.
Cracker handling as I use to have BT 12 on front and BT45 on rear and could scone the pillion footrests and now has BT45 on both.No rocket ship as it's 120mph down a hill but will certainly handle the majority of stuff on back roads but that was years ago😋

Go on... what happened??

You almost had to get your knee down to go in a straight line, and as for corners, forget it. Luckily the engine would eat itself before you hit anything too substantial. Apart from that, it was like an anvil on a roller skate!

Back