'Simply' gluten free pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used fo
Yes I was going to give this ago next , I needed to get my first brew out of the way first to build my confidence
I am a fan of IPA so will try an AG with Clarity Ferm ,I have heard it can slow the fermentation process though
Used Clarex for a few years now,it has no detrimental effect on fermentation,not that I have experienced anyway.

Just having a test 8 days after sitting and carbonating. Brewed 22L with a kilo of dextrose, calculated to be about 4.3% after primary fermentation. Carbonated with 8g of sugar per litre.

Has a nice amber/red colour, could do with being a bit livelier and head hasn't the greatest retention. Does have a nice sweet barley aroma. First taste is a bit metallic lager-style, but with a sweetness. Aftertaste has a slightly bitter hop taste which is nice now and then. Refreshing, nice looking pint - if it had a bit more of a head would be very nice. Not the greatest of body, but being GF, this is more than passable.

It hasn't cleared as well as I think it will given more time, so shall leave the rest for a while. Altogether, things looking good athumb..

Last edited:
Carbonated with 8g of sugar per litre.
Wow, that's about 2.9 volumes of co2, which is top spicy carbonation.

As an experiment the next time you have a bottle take half of it and degas it a big by pouring between two glasses and try side by side against the fully gassed. Sometimes they're madly different and you can think about if you'd change things next time.

Just having a test 8 days after sitting and carbonating. Brewed 23L with a kilo of dextrose, calculated to be about 4.3% after primary fermentation. Carbonated with 8g of sugar per litre.

Has a nice amber/red colour, could do with being a bit livelier and head hasn't the greatest retention. Does have a nice sweet barley aroma. First taste is a bit metallic lager-style, but with a sweetness. Aftertaste has a slightly bitter hop taste which is nice now and then. Refreshing, nice looking pint - if it had a bit more of a head would be very nice. Not the greatest of body, but being GF, this is more than passable.

It hasn't cleared as well as I think it will given more time, so shall leave the rest for a while. Altogether, things looking good athumb..
Hi mine was exactly the same left in the garage for another couple of weeks & the head was great

Wow, that's about 2.9 volumes of co2, which is top spicy carbonation.

As an experiment the next time you have a bottle take half of it and degas it a big by pouring between two glasses and try side by side against the fully gassed. Sometimes they're madly different and you can think about if you'd change things next time.

I was only following guidelines, 2 carbonation drops per 500 mL, or effectively 8g sugar per litre. If anything it was under-gassed.

I was only following guidelines, 2 carbonation drops per 500 mL, or effectively 8g sugar per litre. If anything it was under-gassed.
Did it say the weight of the packet and number of drops? All the different brands differ in weight from 2g up to 4g. Carbonation drops are complete ********, look into batch priming and have a look at a priming calculator and you'll be grand.

Did it say the weight of the packet and number of drops? All the different brands differ in weight from 2g up to 4g. Carbonation drops are complete ********, look into batch priming and have a look at a priming calculator and you'll be grand.

Considering the pack of carbonation drops was 160g, and there were 80 carbonation drops, what I did was this really clever thing called basic mathematics, and I divided 160g by 80.

Now, this might seem like pretty clever stuff, but it is really simple when you think about it. And another really clever thing is being able to understand when a beer is either carbonated or not, as it is either really fizzy, or a little bit fizzy or not fizzy at all.

Hope this helps your 2.9 volumes of co2 stuff.

I guess that you must be right, it is over carbonated to the extreme. The calculation is correct, and my real life experience is wrong.

Back