Steve's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norfolk79

Legendary Beer Drinker
Reaction score
So Friday, had the afternoon off work so thought I'd do a Proper Job Clone.

So first time using uncrushed grains, the crush was perfect, wort was perfectly clear running though my Grainfather at the end of the mash out.

Hit my expected pre boil gravity perfectly. Post boil gravity bang on as well. Everything was going perfectly. I'll have this all cleared away before SWMBO gets home from work:whistle:

Then when starting to whirlpool I could hear this clanging. Obviously must have knocked the filter off :doh:.

No worries I thought, I'll just carry on and just run the wort slowly through the cooler.

This was going along nicely, the hot water out pipe from the cooler was tied to the utility room sink and water going down the drain. Then a knock on the door, Parcelfore delivering a parcel.

Go back to the utility room and hear a bang. The damn pipe had come out from the tie and water was going all over the worktop, over the floor, and over our printer on a shelf, which was now smoking.

Obviously I forgot to switch the water off when I answered the door :doh:.

An hour cleaning all the mess up, I do have 24l of beer fermenting in my fermenter so at least I have something to show for my trouble.:whistle:
(Crikey Nottingham yeast gets going quick!)

Now I need to start looking about for a new printer :doh:

Proper job is bottle conditioning so you may have been able to harvest the real yeast (if you coudl be bothered) I suspect its some kind of chico variety though..

Despite everything you still have beer..

You dry hopping this?

Proper job is bottle conditioning so you may have been able to harvest the real yeast (if you coudl be bothered) I suspect its some kind of chico variety though..

Despite everything you still have beer..

You dry hopping this?

The St Austell yeast is a proprietary strain according to their blurb. People have successfully cultured it up and apparently it is very clean for an english yeast but also really quite low attenuating.

Recipe would help !

4kg Pale Ale Malt
250g Crystal 60L
250g Dark Crystal 80L

60 Minute Mash at 66 degrees
10 Minute mash out at 75 degrees

60 Minute boil

Hop additions

60 Minutes
9.00 Cascade 7.2 IBU
9.00 Chinook 11.3 IBU
9.00 Willamette 5.2 IBU

10 Minutes
11.00 Willamette 2.3 IBU
13.00 Chinook 5.9 IBU
16.00 Cascade 4.7 IBU

5 Minutes
17.00 Chinook 4.3 IBU
15.00 Cascade 2.4 IBU
13.00 Willamette 1.5 IBU

Flame Out
6.00 Cascade
6.00 Willamette
6.00 Chinook

OG 1.047
FG 1.009
IBU 44.7

Yeast Danstar Nottingham

No dry hopping this time, although may well consider it next time, depending on how it comes out.

Bottled today. Final gravity was 1.005, so a 5.5% brew. Despite a stupid amount of trub at the bottom of the fv I managed to get 21.5 litres off.

Customary taste I have to say probably my best brew yet, tastes very similar to actual Proper Job [emoji3]

Woke up at 6am on Sunday morning, couldn’t get back to sleep so got up and decided to bring forward my next brew, which I had planned on doing the following weekend.

A Greg Hughes American IPA, tweaked so that the ABV and BU:GU ratio remained consistent for my higher efficiency with my Grainfather.

Batch Size: 24 L
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013
Boil Size: 29 L
Boil Time: 70 mins
IBU: 50.0
Efficiency: 80%
Colour: 7.7

4.9kg Pale Ale Malt
200g Vienna Malt
Mash for 60 minutes at 67º
Mash Out for 10 Minutes at 75º

Hop Additions
13g Citra Pellets (14.6%) 70 Minutes 18.6 IBU
15g Simcoe Pellet (13%) 10 Minutes 6.7 IBU
15g Citra Pellet (14.6%) 10 Minutes 7.5 IBU
40g Simcoe Pellet 10 Minute Hop Stand 8.1 IBU
40g Citra Pellet 10 Minute Hop Stand 9.1 IBU

Danstar BRY-97 Yeast

As I hadn’t planned on doing the brew I hadn’t got everything set up the evening before like I normally do (with the Grainfather set on a timer so the strike water is ready to go as soon as I get up) it added a bit of time before the start of the brew.

So everything set up, water heating, time to crush the grain. Obviously with me being outside in the garden due to the dust, with my Bulldog Mill at 6.35 in the morning I didn’t want to make too much noise with the milling so I probably had my drill going a little too fast to try and get it over with.

Looking at the milled grain there was quite a few uncrushed grains. Gut feeling was to mill it a second time, but decided against it. BIG MISTAKE!!:doh:

Was expecting a pre boil gravity of 1.048, based on 29 litres, ended up with a little over 30 litres with a gravity of 1.038! So I ended up boiling the wort for an additional hour to get the pre-boil gravity up to 1.042 before starting the actual 70 minute boil with Hop additions.

Post boil gravity ended up being 1.047, so hopefully it’ll end up being a 4.7-ish% brew, which isn’t so bad, although the bitterness might be a little high.

Now have 20.5 litres bubbling away in the fermenter and I have to say it did smell pretty good.

Used a clamp to hold the filter on this time so it didn’t come off, and I didn’t flood the utility room either!!:whistle:

The children did end up with the warm water which came out of the chiller in their paddling pool so at least they were happy!

Note to self, take time crushing the grain, and don’t do it at 6.35 in the morning trying not to make too much noise!:thumb:

So you're a little shorter and a few points off the SG.. Not the end of the world, should be lovely still.. I do like Citra
With it having slightly less gravity points it will probably make it better to be honest. I do prefer the 5% and under beers as I can drink more of them :whistle:

Agreed Citra is one of my favourite hops :thumb:

Thought I'd better check the crush setting on my mill. On checking the gap I notice one side of one of the rollers is loose, hence why my grain crush was so poor, it was only milling half of the grain.

Open up the mill to find a washer had come loose on one side, soon fixed thankfully. At least I know why now!

Onwards and upwards!

Bubbling away nicely in the fermenter at the moment, holding a steady 17º using the sleeping bag and frozen water bottle method.

Obviously this is a brew I'll have to do again properly, now my mill is working again. Just means more beer to drink! :whistle: :drink:

Proper Job Clone has been in the bottles for 2 weeks now. Slipped a couple of bottles into the fridge yesterday for "Quality Control" testing tonight. I'm looking forward to trying this one :drink:

Proper Job Clone has been in the bottles for 2 weeks now. Slipped a couple of bottles into the fridge yesterday for "Quality Control" testing tonight. I'm looking forward to trying this one :drink:

Interested to hear how the Proper Job clone is coming along, I have cultured up the Austell yeast out of a bottle of Proper Job and wouldn't mind trying your recipe soon.

Tastes pretty good to be honest, despite only having 2 weeks in the bottle. Think a few more might be slipped into the fridge for drinking tomorrow [emoji23]

Interested to hear how the Proper Job clone is coming along, I have cultured up the Austell yeast out of a bottle of Proper Job and wouldn't mind trying your recipe soon.

I did use Notty yeast, which seemed to give a good fermentation. Will be interesting to see if the Austell yeast makes a difference.

Think I might have time to slip a Brewday in this Sunday, if I get everything ready the night before and have it ready to go as soon as I get up. Was thinking I'd have a go at a Galaxy Pale Ale.

60 Minute Mash at 66º
10 Minute Mash Out at 75º
4kg Pale Ale Malt
300g Vienna Malt
200g Aromatic Malt

60 Minute Boil
15g 13.5% Galaxy (60 Mins) 20.5 IBU
45g Galaxy (10 Mins) 22.3 IBU
40g Galaxy Dry hop for 4 days

OG 1.046
FG 1.008
IBU 42.7

Bottling my American Pale Ale today, been in the fermenter just under 3 weeks. Looking forward to trying the sample of this one!

So bottled 19 litres worth, FG 1.006 so around 5.4%. Considering the low gravity I had pre boil due to a poor grain crush it's come out at a good ABV. Obviously the extra 60 minutes boiling helped!

Tastes pretty good too [emoji2][emoji2]

Latest posts

Back