Homemade brewing equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Gerry! That's expensive gear that mate! All sorted now anyway.
The only thing I might need is a spade bit wide enough to cut through for the tank penetration.

I was thinking while I'm at it, I might throw a thermometer on to the side as well. Can anyone recommend any ideas? I was thinking thermal well or tank connector with thermometer that will seal on the compression fitting. Or am I better off just buying a desperate digital probe type?

Make your own with a 10 mm copper pipe bent and soldered then attached to the side wall with a threaded nipple using compression fittings.
As for the expanding foam that link was only a visual.
I have a 52 litre mash tun and all in converted was £40.
dae8b59c9f50d3465bb62277064602df.jpg
28131c5db61eabaaf12721bafef75a08.jpg
43daa16377bf819e19298e1b3fae3fc7.jpg
28a7b14495d1b24178b63f7c5052d1a9.jpg
e2dfc0a68731a2329d0ac4cb4f0d9334.jpg
b67c6ca5bb362576a2f4c0b44f0b88bc.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Does the bazooka work well without a false bottom?
Where did you get the cool box? The best value I can find is 22 quid for a 35 litre. To be fair that'll probably do me fine, maybe get on the bigger batches a good bit further down the line.

I'm sure I tried to buy expanding foam or contact cleaner on Amazon a while ago and they wouldn't ship it across the water! Mainland UK only. I'm on the mainland now anyway so shouldn't matter too much.

Was there much improvement when you done the expanding foam?

The fill valve is a for a toilet and is food safe about £5 or less.
Homebase or B&Q will get you the expanding foam.
Wouldn't bother with a Bazooka,just go to the £ shop for a mesh splash guard for a frying pan and cut to fit.
Mash tun was a deal on Tesco direct for £20.
The ball valve is on screwfix for a fiver standard gas lever valve.

I would be careful, if you get a Coleman Xtreme cooler the ball valve i bought from ebay with the fixed thread was too short! i had to order a threaded nipple and a back nut as extra's, Not arrived yet!
if not using a Coleman then you might be alright.
Luckily i hadn't planned to use the mash tun til next week!

Cheers

Make your own with a 10 mm copper pipe bent and soldered then attached to the side wall with a threaded nipple using compression fittings.
As for the expanding foam that link was only a visual.
I have a 52 litre mash tun and all in converted was £40.
dae8b59c9f50d3465bb62277064602df.jpg
28131c5db61eabaaf12721bafef75a08.jpg
43daa16377bf819e19298e1b3fae3fc7.jpg
28a7b14495d1b24178b63f7c5052d1a9.jpg
e2dfc0a68731a2329d0ac4cb4f0d9334.jpg
b67c6ca5bb362576a2f4c0b44f0b88bc.jpg

What did you use to connect the valve to and seal inside/out.

I have the same as my 'next' mash tun and need to get building

What did you use to connect the valve to and seal inside/out.

I have the same as my 'next' mash tun and need to get building
The fill valve thread is actually long enough to extend through the insulation and outer wall to connect to the ball valve and comes with 2 washers as standard along with PTFE tape.

I made a boiler from a 60 litre food grade plastic bucket (bigger is better for unexpected boil overs), and 2 kettles from Asda (5 quid each) took the element out and plumbed them into the bucket, a tap and a bitta 15mm copper pipe with holes drilled in forra filter, simples. My HLT I made the same way but a smaller bucket.

Nick

If you are going to use an esky cut out a 50mm thk piece of polystyrene and cover with alfoil, float that on top of your mash,that will keep the heat in.

I made a boiler from a 60 litre food grade plastic bucket (bigger is better for unexpected boil overs), and 2 kettles from Asda (5 quid each) took the element out and plumbed them into the bucket, a tap and a bitta 15mm copper pipe with holes drilled in forra filter, simples. My HLT I made the same way but a smaller bucket.

Nick

I do like the idea of having two elements in a boiler. Sooner or later the single element in my Ace boiler will pack in and then what do you do with 5 gallons of unboiled wort?

I do like the idea of having two elements in a boiler. Sooner or later the single element in my Ace boiler will pack in and then what do you do with 5 gallons of unboiled wort?

I know it was only a rhetorical question, but the answer is to:

o Transfer the wort to the biggest saucepan you have in the kitchen.

o Boil it as per previous plan.

o Chuck it in the FV when finished and then keep repeating until the batch is finished.

Nothing will happen to the stuff in the FV whilst you keep throwing boiling wort into it and you will still have to cool it down normally.

Actually, "Boil it in small quantities until you have the right amount." was exactly how I started back in the 1960's ... :thumb:

... using the one-galloon Prestige Pressure Cooker that I'd bought SWMBO as a present! :whistle:

For some reason, SWMBO always objected strenuously to the "stink" of boiling wort and hops permeating through the whole house! :whistle:

Happy Days! :thumb:

Back