Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Just got this into the FV. Not to IPA strength,more to my liking strength:smile:
7 litre partial mash 60 min mash at 67c,dunk sparge 10 mins at 72c
540 grm Irish Pale malt
50 grm Black malt
50 grm Choc malt
45 grm Carahell
38 grm Crystal 90L
30 grm Soft brown sugar(at 15 min)
454 grm Liquid malt 1x jar H and B (start of boil)
10 grm challenger pellets 60 min
1/4 protofloc tablet 15 min
6 grm amarillo "" 10 ""
7 grm Amarillo "" 5 ""
6 grm each,amarillo and ahtanum pellets at turn off
1/2 pack CML US Pale yeast re hydrated
expected OG 1.042 Actual OG 1.042(temp adjusted)
expected FG 1.007, ibu 41.49,srm 27.26

dry hop 5 days 8 grms each,amarillo and ahtanum

Just tested and dry hopped,already just one point short of it's FG.The cML yeast does seem to crack on:mrgreen::thumb:

Does any flavouring from the soft brown sugar come through?
Good question. In short ,don't know:lol:. Have done three or four and all have come out well,just a hint of stoutyness before the hops do thier work:thumb:

That was the reason I asked (stoutiness) I am planning a stout for this week and have been thinking of adding molasses just to get that hint of licorice, the soft brown sugar smells like molasses and I did try the licorice chips once but over did it. Also did you cold steep the chocolate and black grain?

That was the reason I asked (stoutiness) I am planning a stout for this week and have been thinking of adding molasses just to get that hint of licorice, the soft brown sugar smells like molasses and I did try the licorice chips once but over did it. Also did you cold steep the chocolate and black grain?
Go steady with Molasses or black treacle,easy to overdo it.
I did a partial mash,so mashed all the grains together. I assume you are using extract or doing a kit?.You can steep your speciality grains for 30 minutes in water at 66c .

No not a kit, but have been reading that the specialty grains steeped in cold water for 24 hours then the liquid added at the sparge eliminates the tannins and harshness which the speciality grains produce. In the past I have done the warm 20 minute steep so will be giving the cold steep a go. Will just add a small amount of molasses then and work up if needed.

No not a kit, but have been reading that the specialty grains steeped in cold water for 24 hours then the liquid added at the sparge eliminates the tannins and harshness which the speciality grains produce. In the past I have done the warm 20 minute steep so will be giving the cold steep a go. Will just add a small amount of molasses then and work up if needed.
Ok,never tried cold steeping and in truth don't think i would bother.A 30 min steep,if doing extract works for me everytime.
Each to his/her own however

Latest posts

Back