AG#5 - American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Wife is out. No work this week. Nothing left to do but chuck another brew on.

Pushing my first 23l Brew in the PECO:

4kg - Maris Otter
750g - Crystal

60 min mash at 65
60 min boil.

Cascade:

20g for 40m.
20g for 10m.
50g at flame out. (Once temp drops to 75).
Ice bath chill.

Safale 04

Ferment at 18c in brew fridge using inkbird to control for first time.

Wish me luck !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a good recipe. Why did you choose s04 over us-05 for an APA?

S04 will be Ok if it is what you have. If you have suitable temp control, I would suggest keeping it cooler for the first four days of fermentation, around 17c, this will ferment cleaner, more neutral. Then warm it up so it ferments out. IIRC it's happy between 12 and 25c.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

S04 will be Ok if it is what you have. If you have suitable temp control, I would suggest keeping it cooler for the first four days of fermentation, around 17c, this will ferment cleaner, more neutral. Then warm it up so it ferments out. IIRC it's happy between 12 and 25c.

Nice one - what would you increase it to after the 4 days ?

IIRC it's happy between 12 and 25c.

I accidentally pitched at 24C with S04 on my last brew and it has released some horrendous esters, which I'm hoping will condition out before my BiL's wedding next week (it's for sneaking into my hotel room, I'm not catering his wedding)!

22c would do it, a degree or two a day will give you plenty of tinkering time with the new inkbird. Most of the flavour will be determined by the early fermentation.

22c would do it, a degree or two a day will give you plenty of tinkering time with the new inkbird. Most of the flavour will be determined by the early fermentation.

Cheers ! Will kick off at 17 for 4 days and notch by 1 each day after that.

SO4 will still give you a great brew, us05 is a more hop forward yeast whereas s04 has more esters and I believe accentuates the malt a bit more. However, as mentioned previously, keeping fermentation temps on the lower side will prevent unwanted esters in this style. Also, the amount of hops you're adding it will still be a hop forward beer.

Do let us know how it comes out.

I accidentally pitched at 24C with S04 on my last brew and it has released some horrendous esters, which I'm hoping will condition out before my BiL's wedding next week (it's for sneaking into my hotel room, I'm not catering his wedding)!
I had the same issue with a stout using S04 giving solvent esters but it was a Hoppy Stout into the bargain.

Gerry

How's it gone? I bet that ice bath took a while....get a wort chiller!

Really good session, the PECO managing to do a 23l (27l boil) with no issues.

Pleased with how it went and nice to know I’m getting double the efforts bottle wise for my troubles this time.

But man ........ ice bath chilling 23l is not recommended. A wort chiller will definitely be in residence next brew !! Took a few hours despite pounding the water with ice !

42 bottles of this lovely stuff bottled tonight.
Underwhelmed by the Hop kick but tastes good, more like an English bitter than and AIPA but tasty all the same and on going into bottle looked by far the clearest brew to date.

Can’t wait for two weeks time to try a first bottle.

Now ... on to prep that Kolsch for Fridays brew day

42 bottles of this lovely stuff bottled tonight.
Underwhelmed by the Hop kick but tastes good, more like an English bitter than and AIPA but tasty all the same and on going into bottle looked by far the clearest brew to date.

Can’t wait for two weeks time to try a first bottle.

Now ... on to prep that Kolsch for Fridays brew day

Someone else on this forum pointed out to me when I made a similar comment that a fizzy beer brings out more hop character than a flat beer, and I imagine just before bottling there isn't a great deal of carbonation to the beer. I imagine in a coupe of weeks once it's all carbed up there will be more hop character.

Cracked a bottle today 1 week on.
Hops now coming through.
Time as said is the maker in this business !

Sound just the job! I bottled ekg pale ale today that had 2 weeks at 18°c then just over a week at 4°c . It is super clear and tastes good enough to drink now! Had the last cheeky half out the bottling bucket...

Sound just the job! I bottled ekg pale ale today that had 2 weeks at 18°c then just over a week at 4°c . It is super clear and tastes good enough to drink now! Had the last cheeky half out the bottling bucket...

Do you always cold chill before bottling mate ?
I’ve got a Kolsch fermenting at the moment at 18 and was thinking of chilling for a week before bottling.

First time...I was away last week and it had finished so thought I'd try ...wasn't brave enough to go any lower incase the fridge played up but at 4 it was fine.

First time...I was away last week and it had finished so thought I'd try ...wasn't brave enough to go any lower incase the fridge played up but at 4 it was fine.

Think I’ll give it a blast.

Latest posts

Back