Really really bad foaming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieblob

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I have been brewing wine for some years (mostly kits) I set up a concentrate and added the sugar but forgot to add the yeast & nutrient sachet. I then went on holiday for 2 weeks and realised when I got back. I opened the lid and there was some very small islands of fungus about 3 of them. Anyway being the eternal optimist I added the sachet. It went immediately crazy it was like a volcano. It stop after about a minute or so, so I put the lid on and it is still bubbling away after 5 days.
I have two questions if someone would kindly oblige.
Should I be worried about the fungus bit?
And what caused the volcano effect?
Thank you

Thank you for your reply
It is about at the SG I want so I will drop it shortly and clear it.
I will taste it and see, might try a bottle on a mate I know in the pub that will drink anything and see if he reappears in the pub to report back ;-)
I will let you know
Any way thanks again

....... might try a bottle on a mate I know in the pub .........

Back in the 60's I was on holiday in Scotland and came across some huge Horse Mussels about the size of a saucer. I love mussels but I'd never seen anything like these before so I took one back to the caravan that evening and cooked it for the dog.

Andy loved it and was still alive the next morning, so the next day I returned to the caravan with two of them, tried them on the kids and they too both loved them and survived.

They really were delicious and just eight of them made a meal after being boiled, removed from their shells, rolled in oatmeal and fried.

Happy Days! :thumb:

.....I opened the lid and there was some very small islands of fungus about 3 of them......
Should I be worried about the fungus bit?
Thank you

Where they pink? if so bin it, deadly. If black or green bin it to. If yeast like in colour as dutto says probably wild yeasts. You can never be to careful.

They were green about 3 little islands of them. I did take them out and filter the whole batch. I have just stopped the brew at .995 and I sampled a tiny amount, It tastes delicious. It's a shame but I am going to bin it. Never mind lesson learned.
Cheers

They were green about 3 little islands of them. I did take them out and filter the whole batch. I have just stopped the brew at .995 and I sampled a tiny amount, It tastes delicious. It's a shame but I am going to bin it. Never mind lesson learned.
Cheers

Why bin it if it tastes delicious? :doh:

I doubt very much if it is poisonous and in the bad old days they used wild yeasts to ferment ALL beers!

Thanks Dutto
With no way of knowing I don't think it's worth the risk, we'll see.
Anyway it is still clearing If I do try a glass and survive I will let you know

Latest posts

Back