Remember the Euro ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... and how it was on the verge of collapse back in 2016?

Any Brit going on holiday to the Euro Zone would have received somewhere around €1.28 for every GB Pound back then.

Today, the exchange rate dropped (plummeted may be a better word) as the GB Pound went down to a mere €1.08 which is a drop of over 15% in the last year.

Enjoy this year's foreign holiday ... :thumb:

... it may be the last one you are able to afford!
:doh:

I wish not being able to afford a foreign holiday was at the top of my list of things to worry about as if it was i really would have feck all to worry about, i haven't been able to afford a foreign holiday in donkeys years due to poor pay and no pay rises not because the pound has dropped in value.

This time last year I was paying 99p for a litre of Red Grape Juice in Lidl.

On Wednesday, the same litre of Red Grape Juice was on sale for �£1.09p, an increase of nearly 10%!

You don't have to go abroad to get the impact of a falling GB Pound, it will come and get you right here at home!

We used to be able to get white grape juice in every supermarket until a crop failed and it was like trying to buy rocking horse s**t the price rose and its still difficult to find maybe the same has happened to red grape juice.

Edit to add - maybe not.

cccccccc.jpg

Is apple juice the closest substitute for white grapes juice ?

This time last year I was paying 99p for a litre of Red Grape Juice in Lidl.

On Wednesday, the same litre of Red Grape Juice was on sale for ���£1.09p, an increase of nearly 10%!

You don't have to go abroad to get the impact of a falling GB Pound, it will come and get you right here at home!

Well my chase spring is still 17p for a 2 litre bottle. :grin: the biggest risk to that going up would be the cost of the bottle its in and the increase in the minimum wage of all those involved in getting it onto the shop shelves. oh yes and the business rates increase for the store that stocks it.

Stuff the euro and stuff Europe - I'm glad to be out and pointing out piddling rises in prices, whether directly attributable or not to our escape, is a tiny price to pay and would be worth it even if they weren't so small. And who wants to go to Europe anyway? There's more foreigners there than there is here.

At one stage we had a fantastic rate on the Euro where it was actually at 45% but that was quite a while ago and saved a fortune buying fuel across the border,whereas now there's a difference in 5p per litre and only worthwhile buying if you are living near which I still take advantage of.

Gerry

In December 2008 the pound was 1.02 to the euro ..long before brexit.... Although im sure some remoaners would try to tie the 2 together :doh:

I was given a 2 euro coin in my change recently instead of a 2 pound coin....so I guess I made on that one.

... and how it was on the verge of collapse back in 2016?

Any Brit going on holiday to the Euro Zone would have received somewhere around €1.28 for every GB Pound back then.

Today, the exchange rate dropped (plummeted may be a better word) as the GB Pound went down to a mere €1.08 which is a drop of over 15% in the last year.

Enjoy this year's foreign holiday ... :thumb:

... it may be the last one you are able to afford!
:doh:
Oh dear me, what with this, that and the other I've been reading about on here recently, sounds like we're all doomed then :roll:
I'm beginning to dread seeing the next depressing thread pop up.
Anyone would think we were looking for things to moan about.

Oh dear me, what with this, that and the other I've been reading about on here recently, sounds like we're all doomed then :roll:

My Mrs has just run off with the window cleaner.............

RESULT

Stuff the euro and stuff Europe - I'm glad to be out and pointing out piddling rises in prices, whether directly attributable or not to our escape, is a tiny price to pay and would be worth it even if they weren't so small. And who wants to go to Europe anyway? There's more foreigners there than there is here.

It will always be cheaper to buy belgian beer from belgium than get it from the uk. hopefully I can do a booze cruise trip across there later in the year :whistle:

plus if a 10-15% rise in the cost of a holiday puts you off perhaps you're sailing too close to the wind to have a holiday in the first place. (not you gunge as from your comment you holiday local?)

Booo hooo, No more cheap euro hols,,,,, Ooops,,, did Toady Nigel and Boris fail to mention that to the sun readers,,, paranoia about immigrants taking 'our jobs' fuels a holiday cost rout. :twisted:

Sadly the heroes on the front line of the NHS and other emergency services still get no help. With the Beurocrat parasites like the toad and his friends sucking the UK's life from the Euro.

At least I can still get my apple juice from Bookers at a good price,,,,, Turbo stability is all I seek in life.

It would seem some people arnt happy unless they are moaning about something. It's always someone else's fault, we are all so hard done by yadda yadda..... yawn.....

Back