Rose Petal wine - how is it going?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack1976

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a batch of rose petal wine on the go. It went into the demijohn on 9th June 2017.

As of last week, I checked on it, re-racked to another demijon, leaving the sediment behind.
There is no more airlock activity at all, there is also no more sediment. The wine is quite clear - see pics.
It smells quite good, and in my laymans opinion tastes ok at this stage.

The hydrometer (as of last week) read as the picture. I haven't taken another sample as I want to minimise opening the demijohn for fear of introducing bacteria or whatever.

I am confused as I have heard that you can bottle when the wine is clear and stable, however, shouldn't the hydrometer read a lot less than this?

Thanks in advance for your consideration

IMG_20170718_132514.jpg

IMG_20170718_132632.jpg

IMG_20170718_132648.jpg

Thanks pvt_ak,

Unfortunately I have not taken any OG readings, a newb error on my part.

Should I leave this a few more months for a different reading?

Could you post up the ingredients you used, 1.090 is where the wine should be roughly at the start of fermentation not at the end 0.990. If that is your own hydrometer in the pic then it looks like a stevenson reeves one and it will have a yellow band round it near the top, that's where it should sink to and the .99 mark above that.

His FG in the pic is showing ah 0.990 isn’t it , unless I’m reading it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it's below 1.000, is that a spirits hydrometer?

Hi Chewie,
You're right in that it has a yellow band. The ingredients were:
6 pints rose petals
3 lbs / 1,350 grams sugar
2 lemons
Wine yeast and nutrient
1 gallon water

Did you put a trial sample into a test tube and was it thoroughly degassed? I doubt that residual Co2 would keep a hydrometer that high up but is worth eliminating. With roughly 1.5kg of sugar that would be a very potent brew, the only other thing i can think of is the ABV is to high for the yeast you have used, without knowing the starting gravity it is hard to know exactly where its at currently. Also worth corroborating the hydrometer with a second one to be 100% sure it's right.

The clue is in the marking below 90,

at .990 it would go to 1.000

at .090 it goes to 1.1 which is where his is at assuming that it has been read correctly.

0.880 - 0.990 - 1.000 - 1.010 - 1.020 - 1.030 - 1.040 - 1.050 - 1.060 - 1.070 - 1.080 - 1.090 - 1.100 - 1.110 - 1.120

Lol remind not to sample your wine, i don't fancy instant diabetes:)

Looks like it's below 1.000, is that a spirits hydrometer?

A spirit hydrometer would sink down the higher the alcohol reading, so the lower numbers would be below not above, kind of in reverse but still the same idea except it doesn't show the change in gravity but the change in ABV.

The clue is in the marking below 90,

at .990 it would go to 1.000

at .090 it goes to 1.1 which is where his is at assuming that it has been read correctly.

0.880 - 0.990 - 1.000 - 1.010 - 1.020 - 1.030 - 1.040 - 1.050 - 1.060 - 1.070 - 1.080 - 1.090 - 1.100 - 1.110 - 1.120

Lol remind not to sample your wine, i don't fancy instant diabetes:)

Yes yes, thanks for that lesson in sucking eggs [emoji12].

Thought it looked like 0.990 but clearly not a hydrometer I’m used to looking at.

Thanks everyone,

Looks like the hydrometer is dropping, so I expect if it keeps falling at the same rate, then it will be ready to bottle in a little over three months.

a.JPG

It's clearly still fermenting, if no airlock activity you have a leaky seal. Sediment should start to build up again, the reason its quite clear is probably because it's basically just a sugar wash with little or no fruit body.

How low it will go will be down to the yeast used, there is a good chance that it won't fully ferment out due to the high sugar content, keep it relatively warm at around 18-20c if you can. I'm not sure what abv you will end up with but 800g of sugar with 320g in a fruit juice gives around 14% in a WoW. You do get high alcohol yeasts that will take it up to the max of about 20% should it stop, whether that will get you down to .990 or not though we will have to wait and see.

From 1.090 down to .990 will give you an ABV of over 13%, with it already having been fermenting for a month before the 1.090 reading it could easily already be at 10%.

A spirit hydrometer would sink down the higher the alcohol reading, so the lower numbers would be below not above, kind of in reverse but still the same idea except it doesn't show the change in gravity but the change in ABV.

Yip senior moment, saw the 1.10 on the pic thought 1.010. Used mine today after a good while since last botherin to take a reading and same layout :doh:

Latest posts

Back