Mini

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have one of these chargers outside your house does that mean no one can park in your place?

I can see some heated debates taking place when you get home and need a charge and the ignorant git next door is in your place.

My brother had a Nissan patrol that he had to take into the main agents in Oldham to have some work done on it. They offered him a Nissan Leaf as a courtesy car which has a supposed range of around 260 miles. Now he had to do a round trip to Blackburn that day, about 60 miles virtually all motorway, Just to be sure he asked them if the car would be good for the trip. They declined to confirm that it would and ended up giving him a petrol model.

are trucks and buses etc going to have to go electric as they pollute far more than your average old diesel car

Given the seating capacity difference, the question should be is a bus more polluting than 16 old diesel cars. I seriously doubt it.

Leccy vehicles are shyte. **** range, **** sound, **** convenience etc. They've tried everything over the years to tackle congestion and failed miserably, but electric vehicles look like being the solution seeing as they barely go anywhere before going flat, and taking forever to charge. Well done. And you lot thought you were tackling climate change. Hahahahah.

I read somewhere that if the current amount of cars were immediately swapped to electric types there wouldn't be enough electricity to charge them...we would need to build 8 nuclear power stations.
I don't think the infrastructure will be in place for at least 10 years to support this as the government, whichever one we have,are too busy feathering their own nests and wasting money on pointless ****.
As for every house getting a charge point..that's some disruption..the fibre broadband was enough..and it just won't happen in remote areas.

Leccy vehicles are shyte. **** range, **** sound, **** convenience etc. They've tried everything over the years to tackle congestion and failed miserably, but electric vehicles look like being the solution seeing as they barely go anywhere before going flat, and taking forever to charge. Well done. And you lot thought you were tackling climate change. Hahahahah.
Another well informed and researched comment from Gunge.

Well I recon there's some truth in that..at the moment. Battery technology for cars still isn't where it needs to be and you can bet the cost won't drop that much. Plus at the moment electric cars are very expensive...how much would a battery cost...£5000?
Then there's the bit I don't get...have a nice "clean" car,that's made from components that are made from petrol by products that are shipped from various locations around the world that have no pollution laws creating a massive carbon footprint to be run on electricity made in a coal,gas or other power station..clean my ****.

Given the seating capacity difference, the question should be is a bus more polluting than 16 old diesel cars. I seriously doubt it.

Round here you often see buses and trains less than half full and as a lot of cars only move twice a day to get to and from work i think that argument doesn't wash, trains, buses and HGV's are on the move most of the day.

To add some facts the popular Nissan LEAF Plus S now has a range of 226 miles and its battery can be charged to 80% in half an hour, how many of us do that mileage in a day?

More expensive cars can do over 300 miles on one charge.

Charging points are popping up all over the place we recent had 5 installed in a supermarket car park so if needed you can charge while you shop.

As for there not being enough power to charge all these vehicles they are not mobile phones many owners will not charge them daily and those that do will do it at night when we are all in bed not using electricity.

Some EV myths.

Electric cars aren't really ‘green’
There is an argument that generating electricity uses as much energy as burning fossil fuel, especially if that electricity is generated from a coal-fired power station. But that’s a job for the electricity industry to clean up, and with increasing amounts of wind and solar-generated power, it’s already happening. In the meantime, improving air quality by removing tailpipe emissions is a difficult argument to counter.

Charging takes too long

Not really. With fast-charging units popping up all over the country, most electric cars can be recharged to 80 per cent of their capacity in around half an hour. Plus, every motorway service station in the UK now has charging points, as do most supermarkets. True, it takes longer than filling up with petrol, but if you plan your journey, then by the time you’ve used the loo and had a coffee, your car will be good to go for another 200 miles…

There isn’t a good enough infrastructure

Again, this is changing. Most major cities now have more charging points than demand for them, so finding somewhere to plug in and get some juice isn’t the challenge it used to be. Plus, many local authorities allow EV users to park in their charging bays for free.

They’re expensive to buy

On list price alone, EVs are generally more expensive than their petrol or diesel-powered equivalents, but like all new technologies, they’re getting cheaper by the minute. When you consider how much cheaper they are to run, and how less likely they are to go wrong, any additional outlay is very quickly and easily offset.

Not enough people are buying them

This has been the biggest change in the past 12 months. While diesel sales dropped by 17 per cent in 2017, registrations of alternatively fueled cars (mostly electric or plug-in hybrid) increased by 35 per cent. They still only account for one out of every 20 new car sales, but this is changing rapidly.

Performance is worse than petrol or diesel cars

Electric cars are quick. Very quick… Even a milk float is quicker off the mark then most petrol or diesel cars as the torque transfer is instant. The Tesla Model S accelerates from 0-60mph in 2.5 seconds, making it the fastest accelerating saloon car of all-time. Need we go on?

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/10-electric-vehicle-myths-busted

So BMW are to make the electric mini in the U.K we'll call me an old synic but don't they already make the mini here so all they are doing is putting the electric motor in the existing car, guess where the electric motor is coming from.

At least the are keeping something in the UK unlike a lot of other manufacturers. There will be a lot of investment in the plant to be able to install the electric motor which keeps people in jobs

The world is awash with oil so as the mentalists get us to move over to electric the price of petrol will plummet. I drive old cars, most with big V8 lumps powering them, it’s going to be great as petrol prices fall and as some of my cars are 50 years old I should be able to run petrol motors until the next millennium. Happy days.

Also the infrastructure isn’t there for fast charging or providing enough power so I am happy to come to the aid of the electric car drivers by inventing a device which they can put in their boot which will generate enough power to recharge their car. I haven’t refined the design yet but probably a small petrol engine driving a generator.

The world is awash with oil so as the mentalists get us to move over to electric the price of petrol will plummet. I drive old cars, most with big V8 lumps powering them, it’s going to be great as petrol prices fall and as some of my cars are 50 years old I should be able to run petrol motors until the next millennium. Happy days.

Also the infrastructure isn’t there for fast charging or providing enough power so I am happy to come to the aid of the electric car drivers by inventing a device which they can put in their boot which will generate enough power to recharge their car. I haven’t refined the design yet but probably a small petrol engine driving a generator.

Something like this perhaps?

upload_2019-6-15_16-35-12.png

Does anyone know anything about hydrogen powered cars?.I remember a few years ago Top Gear did a feature on cars using hydrogen fuel cells which the only emissions were water vapour.A company called Intelligent Energy had a motorbike riding round in Loughborough which was a joint project with Suzuki but it obviously hasn't caught on, with electric vehicles leading the way.

In 2012 i remember reading about BMW making one i don't know why if they stopped.

In the video he says hydrogen wouldn't be widely available in garages until 2050.

Ive just had a look at the bmw vid, then found this, uses a different process to produce power in the form of electricity to drive the motor.

Being and old cynic i think the part from 3:26 demonstrates why this has not taken off.

A game changer that will perhaps change the world of politics.

I see a few issues with electric powered cars.

The lack of infrastructure, every major city have a huge area of houses that don’t have drives to park on to charge the car up, who will pay to install tens of thousands of charging point on pavements.

We will be stripping the Earth of a huge amount of Natural resources to produce the huge amount of batteries required to provide power for the cars.

Latest posts

Back