New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a topic that most can contribute towards without hopefully getting embroiled in petty political debate.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581
Ambitious? Stupid? Wrong? Better options? etc etc
I'll start by saying that I foresee a market for internal combustion engined vehicles far beyond 2040 even if they are not new, assuming that there is fuel to power them and they are not taxed out of reach of the common man (or woman).
Also electrically powered vehicles have still got a long long way to go before they will convince said common man that they are a viable option for his personal transport.
And if a quick win is needed we should be looking at all those smoky old commercial vehicles out there and getting them off the road asap. It can't be too difficult to devise a stringent annual emissions test that achieves that objective.

Where will all the electric come from to power all the cars? Thought the government want us to cut use during peak time to save the national grid melting.

I also see a future where people won't own cars. With driverless cars companies like uber will own cars and people just book journeys

My first thought- not impressed. I'm sure my children will look back and be shocked that we ever used fossil fuels in cars but as Terrym has said, electric cars aren't viable unless you live in a city.

I'm in the military and as such have to drive a good 400 mile round trip to go home and see relatives. Stopping multiple times to charge up doesn't sound good. Modern Diesel engines are very efficient and lets face it, emissions aren't that bad compared to other sources. Fair enough, get older less efficient engines off the road and gradually phase out combustion engines but the 2040's seem a little too ambitious lol

1, where will the electricity come from
2, in a terraced street how will the power points be located
3, non of the current vehicles can tow
4, most batteries contain rare and or highly toxic materials.

most of this will be sorted out by demand and supply but.................

aamcle

1, where will the electricity come from
2, in a terraced street how will the power points be located
3, non of the current vehicles can tow
4, most batteries contain rare and or highly toxic materials.

most of this will be sorted out by demand and supply but.................

aamcle

Won't petrol stations just transform into electric points and there will be a charge.

All the other things will be sorted by 2040, one would hope anyway

Won't petrol stations just transform into electric points and there will be a charge.

All the other things will be sorted by 2040, one would hope anyway

That would be fine if your car did a few hundred miles to a charge and it only took a few minutes for a full charge.

That would be fine if your car did a few hundred miles to a charge and it only took a few minutes for a full charge.

But it will go this way, the battery technology is just getting better and better and no doubt by 2040 your car battery will take you as far as a normal petrol or diesel car and it will be possible to charge it from empty to full in a few minutes. The bigger issue will be generating the power for everyone charging up these vehicles overnight, not sure that more windmills will cut it!

That or they adopt my dodgem idea where all trunk roads are made of metal with a wire grid over the top and a pole on top of your car to connect to the grid. :D

The forecourt in front of petrol stations is designed to accomodate cars that stay put for a 2 minute fill cycle. There is no capacity to support cars that sit there for 20 minutes blocking space. If the 'station' model is to continue with EVs then they are going to have to migrate to a modular battery system where 'refuelling' consists of sliding out a discharged pack and sliding in a fresh pack.

Seems that some people are ahead of the game... :lol:

0292f4abb52eda292733cfeba8e08727--father-ted-milk.jpg

Each car could simply have it's own built in nuclear reactor to supply the power to the batteries.

The forecourt in front of petrol stations is designed to accomodate cars that stay put for a 2 minute fill cycle. There is no capacity to support cars that sit there for 20 minutes blocking space. If the 'station' model is to continue with EVs then they are going to have to migrate to a modular battery system where 'refuelling' consists of sliding out a discharged pack and sliding in a fresh pack.

They have 23 years to come up with a solution. But like I said I doubt many people would own their own car by then. Uber - biggest taxi company in the world but own no taxis. Airbnb biggest accommodation provider in the world but own no rooms

musk was looking at this...

That or they adopt my dodgem idea where all trunk roads are made of metal with a wire grid over the top and a pole on top of your car to connect to the grid.

That would be fun on the corners :lol:

I see they are already saying hybrids will still be allowed after the deadline.

I could use an electric car as my daily transport now as i do not travel far to work etc the only thing that would put me off owning one now is the problem i would have charging it at home (as mentioned earlier i live on a terraced street)

Does anyone really buy the "they care about the environment" argument.

I think its more about running out of fossil fuel and the price other countries could charge us when we do that is driving this.

Anyone remember LPG , half the price of petrol and cleaner yet they didn't give all us petrol car owners any insensitive to get our cars converted being an old cynic i often wondered if that was due to the fact they would lose tax income if they pushed it.

How Clean Are LPG Engines?

LPG was introduced to the market as a “clean-burning” fuel. Is it still clean today, many years down the road? LPG definitely had the potential to become a clean fuel. The reasons for the superior emissions performance were the following:

Reduced emissions of carbon monoxide compared to gasoline engines (but not as low as in diesel engines).

No heavy hydrocarbon emissions. HC which are emitted, are of short carbon chain and low ozone-forming reactivity.

Low emission of toxic air contaminants such as benzene and 1,3-butadiene.

Low cold-start emissions.

Likely better emissions durability than that of gasoline engines. LPG emissions should not increase as dramatically with the engine wear and deposit build-up.

Zero evaporative and running losses due to the sealed fuel system.

Latest posts

Back