feck this hurts..[gout..?]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyb

Landlord.
Reaction score
around 7pm last nite i went out into the garden,
and got an excruciating pain in the joint of my big toe,[right foot]... :evil:
its been throbbing all nite [insert quip] and has eased slightly,
i have had the odd twinge in this toe before but nothing like this,

im putting it down to gout as i have know other people have it ,[and doctor internet seems to confirm the symptoms]

is a trip to the docs required,
i read that it can flare up and then subside,
any tips that fellow sufferers would like to share,

My wife suffered from this at one point and despite its jokey nature, its very painful.
A doctors visit is required to confirm it and get very good treatment for it. If left alone it will always return.

Its not related in anyway to " rich " living....Port and red meat are not needed to bring the condition on.

My wife is still taking prevention tablets 5 years later....

Sounds like it Arty.

Worst pain in the world. I have tablets to relieve symptoms in case of an attack, in serious/recurring cases you can be prescribed tablets to prevent attacks.

People have been known to laugh about it but it can be debilitating.

There are foods/drinks that are reckoned to help, and similarly ones to avoid (cut down on alcohol, I was told :roll: )

Gout (also known as podagra when it involves the big toe)[1] is a medical condition usually characterized by recurrent attacks of acute inflammatory arthritis—a red, tender, hot, swollen joint. The metatarsal-phalangeal joint at the base of the big toe is the most commonly affected (approximately 50% of cases). However, it may also present as tophi, kidney stones, or urate nephropathy. It is caused by elevated levels of uric acid in the blood. The uric acid crystallizes, and the crystals deposit in joints, tendons, and surrounding tissues.

Clinical diagnosis may be confirmed by seeing the characteristic crystals in joint fluid. Treatment with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), steroids, or colchicine improves symptoms. Once the acute attack subsides, levels of uric acid are usually lowered via lifestyle changes, and in those with frequent attacks, allopurinol or probenecid provide long-term prevention.

Gout has increased in frequency in recent decades, affecting about 1–2% of the Western population at some point in their lives. The increase is believed due to increasing risk factors in the population, such as metabolic syndrome, longer life expectancy and changes in diet. Gout was historically known as "the disease of kings" or "rich man's disease".

If you want a quick win and fix, go to Tesco (or supermarket of choice). Buy a box of cherries.
Then go to the juice aisle and buy some cherry juice (in fact, buy 2 - keep one in).

Eat cherries. Drink cherry juice. You'll be amazed how quickly this kicks in!

stu said:
If you want a quick win and fix, go to Tesco (or supermarket of choice). Buy a box of cherries.
Then go to the juice aisle and buy some cherry juice (in fact, buy 2 - keep one in).

+1 :thumb:

stu said:

I have some nice sour cherry vodka and sour cherry gin - so far no gout issues.

Hope you find a fix.

Remember - alcohol isn't the answer but neither is no alcohol.

cheers guys.. :thumb:
had a google , no wonder its so sore...!
it looks like some iboprufen and cherries are a quick fix,

im of to aldi to get their cherry liqueur, some iboprufen and some cherries..... :party:

its amazing the number of heathy foods that can cause gout to flare up... :cry:

The joint of the big toe is the most common location for gout. You should see your doctor as there are several medications that can help shorten/relieve an attack. Also it can be important to recognize high serum Uric acid levels which can potentially be harmful to kidneys as well as causing gout (It's treatable with preventative medication as mentioned earlier) T

I have a good friend who has very painful gout on occasion and this ticks all the symptoms.

On the plus side, some alcoholic beverages aggravate it a lot less than others... the downside is that one of the higher aggravating drinks for him is real ale... I'd get down to the Quack's and get it diagnosed and treated rather than ignore it.

If you know what it is, you can find a way to work around it and still drink... :thumb:

Grumpy Jack said:
I have a good friend who has very painful gout on occasion and this ticks all the symptoms.

On the plus side, some alcoholic beverages aggravate it a lot less than others... the downside is that one of the higher aggravating drinks for him is real ale... I'd get down to the Quack's and get it diagnosed and treated rather than ignore it.

If you know what it is, you can find a way to work around it and still drink... :thumb:

bizzarely last night about 3 hrs before the pain
i had a cheap bitter from aldi it was 3.4%
then i had some pizza,pepperoni,mushroom,chilli, peas ...its seems almost all of these are not good with gout, ;)

stay completely away from mushrooms
my oh had gout for 3 weeks and had to be prescribed medication ,,and it still reaccurs but was told in no way eat any mushrooms

i love mushrooms ... :(

ive got some cherries[2kg jars] and cherry yogurt to chomp through this weekend
gonna avoid alcohol and drink plenty of fluids and if it does not improve will visit the docs... :thumb:

update ..

2 days a go i had the severe pain,it felt like sone one ad ripped my big toe off... :evil:

i got some jars of cherries [lidl] and mixed them into some large cherry yogurts, :tongue:

ive had some of these and lots of weak squash ,
the pain in the toe has eased almost gone..... :party:
ive had a few ibuprofen too,

all in all feeling a pot better, ive still got plenty of cherries and bananas for the next couple of days,

ive got lists of food/drinks to avoid,

which i will for a few weeks then try and find out what triggers my attacks,

im suspecting bread, pizza and beer together, which may be the yeast,

may thanx to all who gave advice,,,

Latest posts

Back