Plastic Bottle Crates

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyn2001

Reaction score
Where is the best place to pick some up? I've been looking on ebay for a while, but despite there being a few on there, none in my area.

I think milk crates would do the job as well, but can't find anywhere on web that sells them!

Where is the best place to pick some up? I've been looking on ebay for a while, but despite there being a few on there, none in my area.

I think milk crates would do the job as well, but can't find anywhere on web that sells them!

Your local traditional boozer will generally have DOZENs in their cellar no doubt.

Picked up some storage boxes from ikea with lids which are perfect for beer bottles, available in black or transparent white.

The black ones mean you can stick your bottles during secondary fermentation in the corner of a warm internal room without worrying about sunlight getting at your beer.

Looking at my receipt the details for these ikea boxes in black are:
Item: 20206316, Samla Box Black, £3.50 each
Item: 80206337, Samla Lid Black, £1.50 each

Not quite as sturdy as beer crates but may suit some so worth a look. Hope it helps :)

I bought some crates on eBay from a guy based in Doncaster (£51 for 6, includes delivery or you can collect if you live up North).

They are OK and very sturdy.

To ensure the bottles don't stick out you need a shorter dumpier bottle like Spitfire or any brews by Bath ales.

Picked up some storage boxes from ikea with lids which are perfect for beer bottles, available in black or transparent white.

The black ones mean you can stick your bottles during secondary fermentation in the corner of a warm internal room without worrying about sunlight getting at your beer.

Looking at my receipt the details for these ikea boxes in black are:
Item: 20206316, Samla Box Black, £3.50 each
Item: 80206337, Samla Lid Black, £1.50 each

Not quite as sturdy as beer crates but may suit some so worth a look. Hope it helps :)

Poundstretcher do similar, 2 for a fiver and fit 20 bottles so I'm told:

http://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/storage/plastic-storage/60l-colour-box.html

Useful for someone without a local Ikea hopefully.

Sorry guys

I cannot see these plastic boxes working...the bottles will fall over unless you are very careful.

I had the same issue when I tried to find bottle crates - they are always too far away to pick up.
Now I use the supermarket plastic crates that are used for home delivery.
It seems that people don't like them being left at their house after a delivery so they leave them outside on bin day. I have collected quite a few on bin day just from my neighbours.
They are really strong and fit 40x 500ml bottles which is just right for 20l brews. I like them because any spills at cleaning or bottling time can be washed and drained off without having to take the bottles out.
But, they are not tall enough to stack directly on top of each other with 500ml bottle in. (They will stack though if you only use the smaller 330ml bottles.) So, I modified an old wooden rack so that I can slide them in and out just as they were designed to be.
They were free and they work well.

Latest posts

Back