King Kep Tap Leak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calluma11

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I kegged my stout tonight (tastes wonderful!!) although i've got a problem. The tap is leaking

I've screwed it as tight as i can physically manage (with hand) and put loads of vaseline on the inside and out but even that wont stop it leaking. :doh:

Any ideas?

Thanks
Callum

Hi .I've just replaced the original white tap on my Kingkeg with a black lever type type to try and cut down frothing.When Ipressured the keg up it was leaking at the rubber washer. So I took the tap off and noticed two very slight ridges or mouldcast marks on the inside of the flange top and bottom where it presses against the rubber seal.I wouldn't have thought that these would cause a leak but I very carefully took the ridges off with a razor blade, smeared with vaseline and this stopped the leak. Hope this helps

Thanks, you helped me.. but not in the way you may have thought.
I stripped the tap off and found the offending item..
ii622
DSC_0369_zpskyyhxzwe.jpg

HBS opens at 10am.. i'll be knocking on the doors asap :P

Thankyou
Callum

Update: after 2 trips to the home brew store (a bittersweet experience - LOVE going into that shop and love the smell.. but roadworks have closed off the bridge connecting Sprotbrough to Balby.. therefore I have to go through saturday morning town traffic - twice!)
I have had the tap replaced free of charge and it seals well. However, it'll be a miracle if the beer isnt infected by now. I did everything in my power to prevent it though (thorough sanitation and frequent CO2 charging to sit on top of the beer)

Time will tell how this goes and I've again learnt the lesson to check every bit of the keg prior to use

Callum

Back