Just modified my kingkeg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiehep

Reaction score
Hi -my first post so thought it would be good to contribute something.
Just started brewing again and decided to put a Coopers English Bitter into a keg
rather than bottle . I could remember the probs I had with the float system not
delivering the ale as it should,so decide to improve it (hope).I've used a syphon tube,
the clear plastic flexible sort with a perspex rod blocking the end and a hole drilled through an inch from the end.This replaces the float system and fits nicely on the elbow that comes out of the top tap and is lodged nicely against the bottom of the keg.Maybe I'll have to wait a little longer for some clear beer but hey it should taste better then!!:drink:

What problem did u have with the standard float system?

Welcome to the forum!
Ive got a king keg ready to use for my stout (kegging this weekend or next)

Havent used it yet (well, used it once last year for my dads cider which was probably the wrong function). If I have any problems I'll try your modification :)

Let us know how it works

Hi Niman and Calluma
The problems I had were even if the float was sitting right to start with as the beer went down the float would turn and only gas would come out.So I would have to take the lid off and sort it out-not good.Hopefully now it will dispense beer down to the last pint without any problem :pray:

thanks was curious...

ive had the float bit fall off a few times but still worked

recently bought a sparkler tap to see if that helps with managing to dispense more beer than head

good luck with your experiment.

Well couldn't wait and had to try it.The beer dispenses well and is pretty clear even though its coming from the bottom of the barrel . The tap however seems a problem as I'm getting a glass full of froth . So like you Niman I'm going to change the tap and also going to try putting a length of tube on the tap spout so it reaches the bottom of the glass like the long necks you see on beer pumps in pubs . Hopefully this will stop some frothing . Glad to have ditched the float system and I have since heard this conversion is well adopted .

thanks was curious...

ive had the float bit fall off a few times but still worked

recently bought a sparkler tap to see if that helps with managing to dispense more beer than head

good luck with your experiment.

Likewise, I've had the clear float fall off but never had a problem with getting the ale out versus gas ? I was amazed in fact how much I managed to get out with the KK top tap - virtually everything bar a puddle left in the bottom.
I use the sparkler taps which I can highly recommend. My next stout I'm going to try No2 bulbs as opposed to Co2 as I hear this make for a nice creamy pint :)

Latest posts

Back