Nakedwines.com

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
possibly THE silliest idea to ask about commercial wine, but some of us still buy it.

Has anyone used naked wines?

They seem decent, some new ideas compared to the usual Laithwaite cheap first order, but full priced repeat order thing - this seems to involve real enthusiasts and pro winemakers to get a good wine at a decent price.

Plus I've got a £60 voucher, so can get a dozen £10-£12 bottles delivered for £50

Never use, tried with a free voucher and signed up was going ok, until additional fees and catches, pulled out before delivery. There has been a lot of complaints about them over the years. Low quality wine, might be lucky and get one good bottle, better off bulk buying from coop or asda (don't bother with tesco) their wine is always mass produced on an industrial scale. Asda buy buy region, Coop always buy small batches of good wine.

A few years ago, we won a £60 voucher in a beer festival raffle. Similar to Tau, lots of add-ons and pricey bottles (have to buy 6 or 12 bottles for any order, ended up shelling out about £20 on top of our vouchers). When they arrived, the bottles were OK at best. Not awful, but quality wise, nearer £5 a bottle than a £15.

Didn't order a second batch

We've been doing it for several years. I sort of like that the subscription money goes to the winemakers but it is a little gimmicky. We did find a couple of years ago that the good wines tended to be bought up almost immediately after release by people that really know their stuff, which we don't. There were complaints about that and they tightened things a bit. We pay in our £20 a month, forget about it and then remember every 6 months that we've got the credit so it feels like a free case of wine. It's never mind blowing but decent enough. They let us take a break from our subscriptions when my wife was pregnant as well, which was a good touch. I'd say if you're a real wine buff then it's not for you but if you are a middle of the road enjoyer of wine who doesn't know much and doesn't want to think about it too much, like me, then it's good.

Thanks for the replies chaps, I'll give it a miss!

They are sold out of the subscription places anyway so it was a straight purchase, or so they said Haha!

Will have 66 bottles of wine in process by this time tomorrow so I'll just have to be patient with my own brews

Personally I've never used them but I think you can get a cheap case of wine as part of a new sign up deal and then cancel straight after.

I did Laithwaites years ago after finding some deal on MoneySavingExpert which meant I got something like 24 bottles of wine for £40 or something silly like that. After that they did send out the odd voucher without strings attached for £20-30 off a case so I'd be lured into ordering another. That seemed to dry up years ago though and all I've ever get now is the standard £xx off if you sign up to this wine plan.

After Laithwaites I moved onto Virgin Wines and did their wine bank thing where you paid £20 a month to them and after three months they credited you account with another £20 so £60 = £80 to spend. That was okay but stopped it when the wife got pregnant as we weren't drinking so much.

I've heard many good things about the Wine Society. It's a cooperative so you have to buy a share in the cooperative before you can buy wine but what they sell is usually quite highly rated and the prices are fairly respectable too. I'm going to give them a go at some point or another.

Latest posts

Back