2 gallon barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Just got a 2 gallon(9 +litre something) plastic barrel from bigger jugs with the basic vent cap.
Question is- never having used one before, could i still use B.F.calculator for carbonation or is there a standard maximum amount of sugar that should be added to these things?
any advice please
ta

Just got a 2 gallon(9 +litre something) plastic barrel from bigger jugs with the basic vent cap.
Question is- never having used one before, could i still use B.F.calculator for carbonation or is there a standard maximum amount of sugar that should be added to these things?
any advice please
ta
have one these 2 gallon barrels and find it to be too much of a flimsy plastic construction to keg and carbonate beer sufficiently as the keg tends to swell up far to much for my liking with even a small amount of PSI:sad:.More suited to a batch of home made wine with little fizz

have one these 2 gallon barrels and find it to be too much of a flimsy plastic construction to keg and carbonate beer sufficiently as the keg tends to swell up far to much for my liking with even a small amount of PSI:sad:.More suited to a batch of home made wine with little fizz

Mmmmmmmmmmm great!
Can i ask what sort of sugar quantities you have used
thanks

Mmmmmmmmmmm great!
Can i ask what sort of sugar quantities you have used
thanks
this is my little barrel and holds around 8 litres to the top reinforcement collar,as for the sugar I tend to use 85 grams for a regular size barrel so 2/5ths would be 34 grams,but it takes very little to swell it up and maybe yours is a different make and of a more sturdier build.this one just sits in my shed redundant:oops:

LITTLE BARREL[1].jpg

this is my little barrel and holds around 8 litres to the top reinforcement collar,as for the sugar I tend to use 85 grams for a regular size barrel so 2/5ths would be 34 grams,but it takes very little to swell it up and maybe yours is a different make and of a more sturdier build.this one just sits in my shed redundant:oops:
Ok thank you.
Looks similar except i have the basic screw top,ie not useable with extra gas.

I have one the same as godsdog pictured above, I've done 40g of priming sugar and not had any problems.

I like it, sort of a halfway house between using my 5 gallon keg and easy kegs. Picked it up cheap second hand too.

I have one of these. I don't find it carbs to bottle level so I tend to use it for more 'real ale' type brews that call for lower carbonation levels. I like it though, as others have said it's a nice halfway house size

Back