Will it be red? Who knows...Who cares! It was fun :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wa10

Reaction score
Something a bit red and a bit different. :)

1l beetroot (90%, 10% apple), 1l blueberry (8%, 5% apple, 2% elderberry), 220g RJC. 500g dextrose, 4 teabags stewed, 1tsp pectolase, 1tsb nutrient and 1tsb Young's express wine yeast.

No idea what to expect, but wanted to have a play, haha! Will almost certainly be one to hide away for a year or two in the pitch black I reckon and see what it pans out like.

IMG_20170228_195306.jpg

I think it will be quite dark but what it will taste like is another thing, keep us posted. :thumb:

Certainly will keep you posted. :)

As you say, it's the flavour which will be interesting! I suspect rough as anything when young, but hopefully will mellow into something rich and full of body by Christmas 2018 haha.

It's off to a flyer, been in the dj less than an hour and already loads of airlock activity. It's bonkers 😂

I was going to ask when you started it cos that has 'volcano' written all over it. ;) Suggest a blow off tube?

Cobbling one together as I type, haha.

I've had enough mopping up this week, and that was just a bog standard Young's Chardonnay kit, which had more than enough headroom but still decided to make a break for freedom. ;) Next time I do one of those, I'll start at half full and top up a couple of times if necessary haha.

I like beetroot to eat but i find it absolutely foul when it's been juiced /shiver, let us know how it turns out when it's been fermented. Lol good luck getting rid of stains.

A member made tomato wine which most members thought would be awful, he said it was drinkable so this may work after all.

When I said cobbling together a blow off tube, I really meant it lol. Tap jammed into the bung in the dj, into a hastily punched hole in a 5l water bottle lid as it's all I've got to hand. And the whole dj stood in a bucket just in case it forces the tap loose.

I actually hate beetroot, so I'm hoping the yeast does something magical with the flavour! It was the depth of colour I was after, and I'm hoping that taste rounds off into something a bit more palatable. Time will tell, haha.

IMG_20170228_211933.jpg

Cobbling one together as I type, haha.

I've had enough mopping up this week, and that was just a bog standard Young's Chardonnay kit, which had more than enough headroom but still decided to make a break for freedom. ;) Next time I do one of those, I'll start at half full and top up a couple of times if necessary haha.

Or make the full gallon but split between a dj and maybe a half size one. Combine when calmed down. Saves watering down and you get the full gallon.

It will be earthy (read soil) with the beetroot, not sure that you have enough blueberry to overcome that earthyness that the beetroot brings. If you cn find some blueberry concentrate maybe add a little 50/100 ml maybe.

I make beetroot wine every year - very nice it is too!
Always best to keep it in a dark DJ/dark place, as it can lose it's colour really quickly...

Back