1st attempt at growing hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks TS, I was thinking to wait until April before planting out - it might need some support in the pot before then though.

I happen to work a 2 minute walk from a 'master ropemaker' so though I would buy local and was gonna use this:

http://www.master-ropemakers.co.uk/coir-plant-twine-p-969.html

And as luck would have it there's a brewery halfway between my office & the ropemaker if I need a rest on the way back :whistle:
Is that the brewery on the museum site?

They will naturally grow directly towards the sun so if you're planning on training them along a fence then start the plant at the end of the fence further from the Sun so they'll naturally want to grow in the direction you want. They grow extremely quickly. Seriously, look away for five minutes and that's another foot.

Thanks - that's encouraging as its what I was hoping the sun would 'pull' them down the fence - I was thinking of setting up the twine diagonally across 3 fence panels but could extend this if needed.
I'm already noticing how quickly they grow & can't decide if winding & then unwinding round a temporary support in the pot is potentially more damaging than planting out sooner rather than later, and covering if it gets frosty again

can't decide if winding & then unwinding round a temporary support in the pot is potentially more damaging than planting out sooner rather than later, and covering if it gets frosty again

Your pot looks quite large so you can easily get a 50cm cane in there to support it. When transplanting I just take the lot, cane and all and leave it there for the season with a much bigger cane planted alongside it.

I too got a prima donna from Smiddy a couple of weeks ago, its been sat in a pot in my conservatory since and its just starting to put out its first little leaf buds, so fingers crossesd it's on its way:thumb:

I grew some last year for the first time - Styrian Goldings and Cascade. Like you, I initially planted them in pots but the roots were soon coming out of the bottom, when this happens get them in the ground. Once they get going they'll grow like mad, so think ahead regarding training them - by mid-summer you'll be virtually watching them grow.

Even though it was my first year, I had a usable quantity of hops off both, although the Goldings produced much more: juts managed 1 brews from the Cascade but had several from the Goldings. Need to keep an eye on them for harvesting, there's a short window when they're at their best. I dried mine on baking trays in the airing cupboard then bagged them up.

I too got a prima donna from Smiddy a couple of weeks ago, its been sat in a pot in my conservatory since and its just starting to put out its first little leaf buds, so fingers crossesd it's on its way:thumb:

Prima Donna's a dwarf hop and is a good choice if you haven't got so much space. My brother in law's got one of those and it grows to about 3 metres or so.

Your pot looks quite large so you can easily get a 50cm cane in there to support it. When transplanting I just take the lot, cane and all and leave it there for the season with a much bigger cane planted alongside it.

Thanks - never thought of this :thumb:

I grew some last year for the first time - Styrian Goldings and Cascade. Like you, I initially planted them in pots but the roots were soon coming out of the bottom, when this happens get them in the ground. Once they get going they'll grow like mad, so think ahead regarding training them - by mid-summer you'll be virtually watching them grow.

Even though it was my first year, I had a usable quantity of hops off both, although the Goldings produced much more: juts managed 1 brews from the Cascade but had several from the Goldings. Need to keep an eye on them for harvesting, there's a short window when they're at their best. I dried mine on baking trays in the airing cupboard then bagged them up.

Good to hear you got a crop in year 1 - I think I'll get my twine lines all ready before I plant out

Prima Donna's a dwarf hop and is a good choice if you haven't got so much space. My brother in law's got one of those and it grows to about 3 metres or so.
does he get enough hops for a brew day??

does he get enough hops for a brew day??

Last year was year 2 and he got about 50g dry weight from a single plant which I thought was pretty good. He actually used them to flavour the mead that he brews. I'm not much of a mead drinker but I have to admit it did taste good!

Am I right in thinking the hop should be wound clockwise as you look down the cane/twine towards the ground? - I've seen some pictures which seem to have them going the other way :-?

Am I right in thinking the hop should be wound clockwise as you look down the cane/twine towards the ground? - I've seen some pictures which seem to have them going the other way :-?
Sounds right. They go the same direction round as the sun does: East to West in front of the twine.

Sent from my thl 5000 using Tapatalk

I was given a potted hop plant tonight what should I do with it now? I assume it needs to be kept indoors as we are still getting frost overnight. Any other info would be great.
c6711444021334e8a0963a37a47b03b5.jpg
eecc68ed0ead93227e46308eb7994a93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was given a potted hop plant tonight what should I do with it now? I assume it needs to be kept indoors as we are still getting frost overnight. Any other info would be great.

I was advised to keep it indoors in a light place to get established and plant out after frosts. I'm hoping it won't outgrow the pot before the start of April as I'll probably plant out around then if the forecast is good.

This year I have planted Northern Brewer, Target, Cascade and Saaz. have nice big wood shed with a south facing wall and raised bed just for my hops!! anyway nothing ventured nothing gained!

If nothing else will be good to show the kids that we can grow things in Scotland to after seeing miles and mile of hop fields on the south Island of New Zealand.

I was advised to keep it indoors in a light place to get established and plant out after frosts. I'm hoping it won't outgrow the pot before the start of April as I'll probably plant out around then if the forecast is good.

Should I start trying to train them now in the pot?

Should I start trying to train them now in the pot?
Just insert a short cane next to it in the pot and put the pot on a window sill that gets the sun and ensure the compost doesn't dry out. As soon as it starts growing it'll sense the cane by touch, wrap itself around it then it'll be off like a rocket. With my cuttings I plant out when they're about 20-30cm high.

Just insert a short cane next to it in the pot and put the pot on a window sill that gets the sun and ensure the compost doesn't dry out. As soon as it starts growing it'll sense the cane by touch, wrap itself around it then it'll be off like a rocket. With my cuttings I plant out when they're about 20-30cm high.

I stuck a cane (well, a hazel stick) in my pot yesterday as you suggested before, and in 24hrs its already completed a full extra turn around the cane and is already now 30cm up the cane. The 2nd shoot is much more compact & slow growing though.

Back