Stop the world I want to get off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsbeer

Reaction score
There must be some exceedingly stupid people in this country. If I had a peanut allergy I would not need a label to tell me not to eat a packet of peanuts. However the Food Standards Agency thinks otherwise. See this BBC news story. HERE

Peanuts aren't nuts, they're peas.
I take your point though, the one that gets me is the coffee cups in McD's "beware contents hot!!" :thumb:

Kinleycat said:
I take your point though, the one that gets me is the coffee cups in McD's "beware contents hot!!" :thumb:

That's because someone burnt their gob on a cup an sued em for millions - and they won too !

H & S gone mad !!

Its double standards though, I'm allergic to horses but they can't be bothered to put warnings on horseradish sauce for me!

Jeltz said:
Its double standards though, I'm allergic to horses but they can't be bothered to put warnings on horseradish sauce for me!

Or Burgers :grin:

Its the Claim lawyers thats causing all this nonsense and the judges that go along with it

A few years ago a bloke bought a big american camper van and set off on holiday

he set it on cruise control then went back to make a cup of tea

Obviously it drifted off the road, got smashed to bits and nearly killed the idiot.

Guess what?

He sued the manufacturer for not warning him that would happen and WON!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a mildly famous legal case about dragon sausages on a similar note.

Essentially a butcher was making sausages in wales, calling them welsh dragon sausages.
An FSA busybody came along and said they must have pork in the name so as not to cause confusion about the contents.

Now I'm not a lawyer but it doesn't take a genius to work out dragon sausages probably don't contain any dragon...

Jif is liquid lemon juice you put on your pancakes.
Cif is a white powder used for cleaning.
It used to be called Jif as well but someone mixed it up and his pancakes tasted funny.

apparently he'd done it the year before as well......

piddledribble said:
Jif is liquid lemon juice you put on your pancakes.
Cif is a white powder used for cleaning.
It used to be called Jif as well but someone mixed it up and his pancakes tasted funny.

apparently he'd done it the year before as well......

Don't forget the pancakes on Jif bathroom scourer day... :P

It wouldn't be any great loss to mankind, surely, if someone was stupid enough to buy and consume a massive bag of nuts when they had a nut allergy. Natural selection works, leave the warnings off!!!

screamlead said:
Kinleycat said:

That's because someone burnt their gob on a cup an sued em for millions - and they won too !

H & S gone mad !!

The case was a bit more complex than that... she spilled coffee which was deemed 'defective', as it was considerably hotter than the recommended serving temperature of coffee. The lid was also defective, which caused it to spill all over her crotch and inflict 3rd degree burns to 6% of her body and lesser burns to 16%. This then resulted in 8 days of hospitalisation, skin grafts, and 2 years of medical treatment. I think I would have sued them too.

Liebeck vs McDonalds, 1994.

bobsbeer said:
There must be some exceedingly stupid people in this country. If I had a peanut allergy I would not need a label to tell me not to eat a packet of peanuts. However the Food Standards Agency thinks otherwise. See this BBC news story. HERE

Not as funny as you think my wife worked with a woman whose daughter had a nut allergy. She decided to have a takeaway curry delivered and as soon as she tasted it she knew it had nuts in it. She called an ambulance and left her door open but sadly died. Poor girl took great care in what she ate and usually asked, but sadly on this occasion she didn't and it cost her her life.

Perhaps having to put a label on a packet of peanuts is a bit extreme but if they didn't have blanket legislation then something would end up not getting labelled that should have.

graysalchemy said:
She decided to have a takeaway curry delivered and as soon as she tasted it she knew it had nuts in it.

I can understand labeling in products that may or may not contain nuts, but peanuts! I would be pretty pi**ed off if they didn't contain nuts.

As I said Bob it will be to do with the way the legislation makes sure that everything that has peanuts in gets labelled so that people don't inadvertently eat peanuts. Its easier to say that everything with peanuts (or nuts) need a label instead of saying not unless it is 100% nut, in which case peanuts would still need it because of the salt content.

It may be madness but it is probably the simplest way to legislate and simplicity is what we need in this country. :grin: :grin:

Russ146 said:
Its the Claim lawyers thats causing all this nonsense and the judges that go along with it

A few years ago a bloke bought a big american camper van and set off on holiday

he set it on cruise control then went back to make a cup of tea

Obviously it drifted off the road, got smashed to bits and nearly killed the idiot.

Guess what?

He sued the manufacturer for not warning him that would happen and WON!!!!!!!!!!!

Urban Legend.

Check www.snopes.com anytime you see anything like this

graysalchemy said:
bobsbeer said:

Not as funny as you think my wife worked with a woman whose daughter had a nut allergy. She decided to have a takeaway curry delivered and as soon as she tasted it she knew it had nuts in it. She called an ambulance and left her door open but sadly died. Poor girl took great care in what she ate and usually asked, but sadly on this occasion she didn't and it cost her her life.

Perhaps having to put a label on a packet of peanuts is a bit extreme but if they didn't have blanket legislation then something would end up not getting labelled that should have.
Without trying to sound clever over what sounds a tragedy, anyone with such a severe allergy should carry an epi pen everywhere they go.
We have them in school and have to have staff trained to administer them if needed.
On a lighter note the protein that causes nut anaphylaxis contained in brazil nuts (theres another peanut type quandry!!) is the only one that is transmitted during coitus via a gentlemans........."relish", how unlucky would you have to be????!!!!

Latest posts

Back