Metal boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pith-head

Reaction score
Hi again chaps, i am looking for a bit of advice.... again, i bought an electrim boiler many years ago with the intention of brewing some good beer, unfortunately i never got to use it due to ill health problems. I came across it while digging my way through the spare bedroom i had forgotten all about it.

I have tried to boil five gallons of water with it, but the thermostat keeps cutting out just as it starts to boil, it does restart but it only cuts out again before reaching a full boil, in effect it no good at all. So i was just looking at a new boiler from the homebrew shop on line and they are selling nice metal one's for for about 160 quid. Could any one tell me if these are ok or not, i would hate to waist another 100 plus quid. The boiler can be found at the address below, Thanks for any advice.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk

Go gas..Electrim/Buffalo/ Burco boilers were and never will be designed to provide a full boil. They are designed to reach a certain temp and then cut out.....no good as a brewing kettle

If you were looking at this one:

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...teel-56-Ltr-Electric-Boiler.html#.VEUqo3x0yM8

Then I can thoroughly recommend it. Picked one up a few weeks ago (reduced, shop soiled impulse buy when I was in the shop getting supplies).

The two elements heat the wort quickly, then turn one off and the single element maintains the rolling boil. You will need to plug the elements in to different circuits though.

The 56 litre capacity means there is plenty of head space on a normal 25l brew to avoid boil overs.

You will need a C spanner or similar to fit the elemnts

Thanks Johny and Dads, with a recommendation like that how can i not buy one. Thanks very much guys, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Your present boiler will have a cut-out wired into its circuit. Plenty of posts here and elsewhere on how to bypass it so the boiler holds a rolling boil. Ten mins with a screwdriver, or £160? Hmmm...

Cheers,
Chris

Any reasonably modern kitchen ring main should be 32A which is plenty to plug both elements in as long as you don't put the kettle and toaster on at the same time. I thought the electrim one shouldn't cut out if the thermostat is turned up full unless its detecting boil dry by mistake.

Yes Electrim boilers are designed to run a rolling boil with the thermostat turned up full.
Unfortunately over time this function does give up the ghost and it starts cutting out. This is what happened to mine after about 16 years. I did get over the problem by cutting out the thermostat completely.
Even with it working, though I found the size a bit limiting and must say buying the new S/S boiler was money well spent.

Thanks to everyone, i am well pleased with the info given here, this is what makes this forum more than a bit special, Cheers guys.

Any reasonably modern kitchen ring main should be 32A which is plenty to plug both elements in as long as you don't put the kettle and toaster on at the same time. I thought the electrim one shouldn't cut out if the thermostat is turned up full unless its detecting boil dry by mistake.

The two 2400w elements will draw about 21 amps. Each socket, including double sockets, on a 32 amp ring main should take no more than 13 amps. Make sure you plug each element into a separate socket. To make it clear, do not plug the two elements into the same double socket.

An electrician told me both into the same dual socket is fine and it has worked OK for me. I am seeing another electrician in a few hours I will see what he says as we will be doing a brew.

An electrician told me both into the same dual socket is fine and it has worked OK for me. I am seeing another electrician in a few hours I will see what he says as we will be doing a brew.

Well, I wouldn't let that electrician anywhere near my house! If you look at the spec for UK domestic double sockets, such as MK, it clearly states that the ENTIRE double socket is rated at 13 amps. The 17th edition of the wiring regulations says the rating per outlet on a 32 amp ring main is 13 amps - irrespective of whether it has one or two plug sockets. A double socket counts as one outlet, not two.

Back