Black Sabbath

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
Black Sabbath
(A Heavy Metal) American Stout
The weiss yeast makes this into a very spicy stout, and the roast malts make it intense. It's my own creation. Mwahahahaha! You can sub other hops obviously. You could use a less flavoursome yeast, but that would make it into a more regular stout - which may be all you want.

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.058
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.08 %
Bitterness (IBU): 48

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (81.47%)
0.200 kg Black Malt (8.15%)
0.120 kg Crystal Rye (4.89%)
0.075 kg Crystal 120 Dark (3.05%)
0.060 kg Roasted Barley (2.44%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12 g Admiral Leaf (14.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
10 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.6 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Mauribrew Weiss

This stout is intense, but virtually everyone who has had a bottle has wanted more.

I'm getting this on the go tonight. No Mauribrew yeast, but I'm going to give it a go with some Safbrew WB 06, see how that turns out!

I'm getting this on the go tonight. No Mauribrew yeast, but I'm going to give it a go with some Safbrew WB 06, see how that turns out!

Bit of a gamble perhaps, you'll get the banana flavours from wb06. The Mauribrew is spicy.

Hmm. Might avoid it and keep that for the next batch of Witbier then. Mashing at the moment so I've got options. I've also got a can of Coopers stout, might use it for a mini mash?

You could do the black Sabbath with an ale yeast if you have one? Different from Weiss yeast but would still be good.

Ill give it a go "straight" then. It should still be a nice strong stout, which I always enjoy! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Please do, good to get feed back. It'll have lots of flavour. With the Weiss yeast it's pretty intense. You coujd use different hops if you don't have admiral and challenger.

I've got quite a stock of hops in the freezer now, just getting my head around their various properties. I'll go with those two this time.

I'm just drinking a bottle of Black Sabbath I bottled at the end of last November. This is as close to Wizardry as I've got I think, it's a fantastic stout. The time in the bottle has made it even better.

I look forward to it. Got an og of 1060, Nottingham pitched, I suspect it'll need a good two weeks to ferment out.

Clibit your recipe looks delicious and with Saturday morning fast approaching I am trying to finalise a recipe to go at... a couple of questions though- I have upscaled my kit so I can now make larger batches - my plan is to take a good stout recipe and then experiment by splitting out a couple of smaller batches and chucking some oak chips in one, dry hops in another etc. BUT my first question is - should I want to make 40 litres say, is it as simple as multiplying all the ingredients by 4? and will I need 4 packets of yeast? - which brings me to question 2 - I have the following yeast variants to choose from:

Wyeast liquid activator - British ale 1335 x 1
Wyeast liquid activator British ale 1098 x 1
Mauribrew ale 514 x 2
Safale US-05 x2
Safale S-04 x2

Hops that I do have are:

Amarillo
Simcoe
Williamette
Summit
Maybe a half pack of cascade in the freezer too?

Do you have any suggestions for best hop combos?

Back