virus thingy going around

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Chippy et al.

This years virus doing the rounds seems to be pretty unpleasant.

I had to take a day off work it was so bad. Went to bed 6pm ish slept until 2pm next day completely zapped me, what was that all about?

I don't normally catch stuff but there was a lot going round in the office and it was taking people out for a week, so i felt quite smug i'd only lost a day, then before it had cleared up it had a second go at me. :doh:

Fortunately I was able to hang on in there. 3 weeks later it's only just clearing up. I'm entitled to a flu jab as is mrs DOJ and she didn't get it and she had a jab so next year I'm going for one, I don't fancy a repeat performance!

anyways Chippy, hope you're man flu has truly finished and isn't taking a half-time break.

caught what seemed like a chesty tickly Infection last Tuesday as I went bee byes shortly after having a pretty bad cold in late November and still hanging around after 5 days,maybe its just a symptom of old bones,hope not

Anyone who contracts influenza has my deepest sympathy.

Aged 15 in 1958 I contracted what was then called "Asian Flu". For four days I couldn't get out of bed, lost just over one and a half stones (10kg), was laid up for nearly two weeks and for the first week my Mum had to change the sheets up to three times a day because of the sweat.

After my own experience I have always looked askance at anyone who phoned in to work to announce "I have the 'flu. I won't be in today but I should be okay in a few days."

After contracting influenza getting to a phone would be enough to finish most people and you definitely won't be "okay in a few days"!

I always have my annual 'flu jab and if I'm not in the UK I even pay to have it done privately. I also thank God every Spring that the 1958 episode has still been my only brush with the virus. :thumb:

Anyone who contracts influenza has my deepest sympathy.

Aged 15 in 1958 I contracted what was then called "Asian Flu". For four days I couldn't get out of bed, lost just over one and a half stones (10kg), was laid up for nearly two weeks and for the first week my Mum had to change the sheets up to three times a day because of the sweat.

After my own experience I have always looked askance at anyone who phoned in to work to announce "I have the 'flu. I won't be in today but I should be okay in a few days."

After contracting influenza getting to a phone would be enough to finish most people and you definitely won't be "okay in a few days"!

I always have my annual 'flu jab and if I'm not in the UK I even pay to have it done privately. I also thank God every Spring that the 1958 episode has still been my only brush with the virus. :thumb:
I had my first serious virus infection/flu bout when I was aged 28. I was also in bed for nearly two weeks, and had over three weeks off work. Thereafter every two years or so I would get a less serious virus that would go its course and many would then leave me with post viral fatigue for ten days or so. This means you just sit in a chair or lie in bed because you have not got the energy to do anything or indeed want to. If anyone has had it they will know what I'm talking about. It was so bad one year I thought I had ME. I was really bad in 2000 but others were worse, my boss's sister died in hospital of respiratory failure because of the effect of the virus going around at the time.
Most times when I had these viruses they affected my breathing, and that's something that's affected me badly this winter so maybe there is a long term impact, I certainly believe that some viruses can hide away in your body and come out to play when the time is right.

Mrs MQ caught a chest infection flu thing from the woman who sits behind her at work. She's coughing like she smokes 100 fags a day (she doesnt smoke). So she's been working at home for the past week

my wife and I we both had it
and we had the flu jab
it just knocked us sideways for over a week.
I got to be careful as I got copd
hope nobody gets it

This years virus seems to have come back for seconds. There was a round in late December, now another one mid-late January. It's the same deal with multiple people out of the office for days. Seems to mostly affect those with families. The guys that sits next to me had it hit him, his wife and both children. Another one came in, vomited in the khazi and went home blaming his girlfriend. I dearly wanted to nuke his desk from orbit just in case.

Hi Chippy et al.

This years virus doing the rounds seems to be pretty unpleasant.

I had to take a day off work it was so bad. Went to bed 6pm ish slept until 2pm next day completely zapped me, what was that all about?

I don't normally catch stuff but there was a lot going round in the office and it was taking people out for a week, so i felt quite smug i'd only lost a day, then before it had cleared up it had a second go at me. :doh:

Fortunately I was able to hang on in there. 3 weeks later it's only just clearing up. I'm entitled to a flu jab as is mrs DOJ and she didn't get it and she had a jab so next year I'm going for one, I don't fancy a repeat performance!

anyways Chippy, hope you're man flu has truly finished and isn't taking a half-time break.

Seems this virus is getting everyone..
Unfortunate for me due to my condition even a cold can get me back into hospital as my immune system is shot! With all my meds n stuff!!
Ohhh well...get to letch at the Nurses!
I had a spasm of my whole body in December in the street! And apart from looking like street performer body popping! I was lucky my bladder etc didn't pack in...6 weeks in bed on n off...haha!! Chuffed my lass is a nurse!! Mind she is like Nurse Nurse Gladys Emmanuel sometimes lol
But I have to laugh..otherwise I'll be miserable.. :-)

Mrs Tea has had it for nearly a week and it has really taken its toll, I was really ill Friday night into Saturday but by Sunday night i was feeling a bit better so i am not sure what i had (i did have all the flu symptoms) i was under the impression flu lasts at least 5 days.

Mrs Tea has had it for nearly a week and it has really taken its toll, I was really ill Friday night into Saturday but by Sunday night i was feeling a bit better so i am not sure what i had (i did have all the flu symptoms) i was under the impression flu lasts at least 5 days.

The key words being "at least" so don't rush into doing anything strenuous! :nono: :nono:

Had it just after New Year,took over three weeks to shift it:twisted: plenty of it around!.

plenty of it around!.

This is one hospital in our area, if you google your area you will be shocked.

An outbreak of influenza (flu) has been reported on ward 4 at West Cumberland Hospital. As a result, the ward will be closed for the next 48 hours to visitors.

The visiting suspension will then be reviewed again on Saturday. Exceptions for visitations must have prior approval of the ward matron and visitors will be required to wear a personal protective equipment kit.

Influenza can be highly infectious and can spread rapidly in closed environments such as hospitals, schools and care homes.

Clive Graham, director of infection prevention and control said: “Visitors are being reminded not to visit our hospitals if they are unwell, have been unwell in the last 48 hours, or had contact with a person with flu like symptoms in recent days.

“If you do visit please ensure that you wash your hands when you enter and exit the ward, limit time on the ward and avoid bringing children.

“Influenza can be spread through contact with an infected person, by contact with contaminated surfaces or by consuming contaminated food or water. We would ask people to please follow our advice to minimise its effects on the hospital, themselves and their families.”

It’s not too late for members of the public to receive their flu vaccination. Please check with your local GP or pharmacy for further information. Find out more about flu at:

"Exceptions for visitations must have prior approval of the ward matron, and visitors will be required to wear a personal protective equipment kit."
th

You are saying flu like, and the hospitals say it's flu, but has your gp ever taken a blood sample and sent to a virologist I doubt it. A lot of the diseases attributed to flu aren't, most are colds and other viruses, hell some might be Zika has flu like symtoms.

My wifes a child minder and we have 2 kids at school. Every winter our house is a hotbed of germs and I normally get everything going, This year the worst one has been a hacking cough going around. I've had a cough for weeks but its on and off and not too bad.

Back