Yeast recycling interest

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well last nite was sitting looking on the craptop and saw yeast harvesting and yeast starter etc on YouTube...as you do when our lass has her soaps on.
Thinking of this...and I would like an honest opinion for all you lot know my 'limitations, brain retention is it worth it!!
9 beaver pelts for a couple of lager yeasts was niggling at me...
So I'm going to do the same lager (23l) and I think only use the yeast twice..not sure.
But the yeast is dry not liquid..
Any thoughts will be apreciate as always..
(Chippy-T your prob thinking "oh Bri's going to do online shopping again this week, for the eqt!")
Been good this week only ordered my recipe ingredients!!! I think!! Have to look at my notes...ohh! Twice bought some StarSan lol
Reet! I'm off to sort my water treatment for a brewday!!!
Thx

If you spend money on an expensive liquid yeast strain then yes sure harvest. grow starters .. Overbuild and split ect.

No reason why you cannot harvest from a dry yeast cake either of course , I think given the cost of dry yeast some just feel it isn't always worth the effort.. I guess it depends on whether and how quickly you're going to use that strain again ect..

mind you myQul says you can practically do necromancy on yeast so there is always hope..

It also depends on how tolerant your partner is on filling fridges up with Jars of "what the hell is that?"

If you spend money on an expensive liquid yeast strain then yes sure harvest. grow starters .. Overbuild and split ect.

No reason why you cannot harvest from a dry yeast cake either of course , I think given the cost of dry yeast some just feel it isn't always worth the effort.. I guess it depends on whether and how quickly you're going to use that strain again ect..

mind you myQul says you can practically do necromancy on yeast so there is always hope..

It also depends on how tolerant your partner is on filling fridges up with Jars of "what the hell is that?"

As I just said
I'll weigh the options...specially our lass!
Thinking too much in tiny head from finish a ferm time to the next brew I'll prob be confused hahaha!!
Ohhhh! My malt Miller delivery is arrived...wup wup!
Thx pal

I bottled whilst the mash was on and left the yeast cake in the bottom of the FV then when the brew was finished I dumped the wort ontop of the yeast, it got going in a few hours.

I just took some pics, there is less yeast than earlier as I top cropped some first thing this morning.

CIMG0001.JPG

CIMG0003.JPG

I bottled whilst the mash was on and left the yeast cake in the bottom of the FV then when the brew was finished I dumped the wort ontop of the yeast, it got going in a few hours.

I just took some pics, there is less yeast than earlier as I top cropped some first thing this morning.

Great pal...
Now I have sort timing for brewday! Rack the lager and use the old yeast...mmmmmmm!! Reckon I might able to do it...lol

Great pal...
Now I have sort timing for brewday! Rack the lager and use the old yeast...mmmmmmm!! Reckon I might able to do it...lol

Even if you can't manage brewing and bottling in a single day just scoop out a couple of big spoonfuls of yeast/trub from the bottom of your fermentation vessel after bottling and store it in a sanitised jar. This will be perfectly fine for a week or two just to dump back into your next brew and it will go off like a rocket.

After that, it is probably a good idea to perk it up with a starter before using it for brewing.

Even if you can't manage brewing and bottling in a single day just scoop out a couple of big spoonfuls of yeast/trub from the bottom of your fermentation vessel after bottling and store it in a sanitised jar. This will be perfectly fine for a week or two just to dump back into your next brew and it will go off like a rocket.

After that, it is probably a good idea to perk it up with a starter before using it for brewing.

Hi pal.
Aye I'm looking on a starter..never made but it a habit I'll like.
Thx

Hi all,
Well at the mo I'm happy with every stage of the HB'ing journey...I.e. Getting every stage right...cleaning & sterilising, water treatment all the way to bottling/kegging...but I miss learning about yeast starters and keeping my own yeast for the next brew.
Reckon if I get the stages right my efficienty would improve, let alone my 'brain power' lol
Looked at the web a bit and I'm ready to invest on the kit to do it!
First I could use your help locating the eqt I need, due to my learning difficulty internet shopping...I get confused, stress lol
I think a Erlenmeyer flask is one of the first things? How big and how many?
What about a Hotplate stirrer?
And any other kit needs...
I'll would apreciate link so I can follow...like I said doing it is hard for me...simple shopping tends to get messy! Unless I write it down I forget what I've ordered and times I order twice...at times 3 times...dooo!
Really interested at learning, another task during the whole HB'ing journey.

Your right, and think an erlenmyer flask will be helpful for bri as their wont be any transfering needed. He can boil, cool and ferment the starter all in one vessel

Guys I'm pmsl...you know too well lol
I'm chuffed bits for your quick reply and help, as you know how I struggle..your deffo on my Xmas card list :-)
I'll start the research and shopping soon..after doing the dishes by hand!! How many cups n plates I can keep in one peice is a mystery!!

So far I've bought:
12v power supply
Controller
Magnets
Stirrer plate (hong kong)

Still to buy the flask, the M3.5 x50 bolts...thinking whickes just along the road..
I've got a few fans kicking around..so I'm getting them sorted..
These are massive

But thinking one of these

Now my heed is smashed lol what container!!!! Ahhhhh! Looking all ova haha!! I'll get one...
This is a Gucci prospect btw!
Thx so much for pointing it out...
TBC

Back