Yeast recycling interest

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With these two bottles I'm thinking of washing them...then once my stir plate is finished, I'll take it from there.
I'll have to look back the yeast I used..Amstel #1
What you think the days b4 I have a lager brewday, start a yeast starter??
Thinking of saving the Saison..

Morning all,
With the stirpale and mason jars etc.
I had a couple of Amstel bottles that have a good yeast in the bottle.
So today I learning and putting the research to good use.

The stir plate has been balance for now lol
And it's washing the yeast!
A boiled mason jar with hot water is cooling as we speak.
Prob another wash then a smaller jar, keeping it till I have another lager brew.
Now it's time to work out the days before making the right size of starter...not mean task for me with my brain!! So ready to get the Bri's usual questions
I don't know if it's going to be a usual 23l batch!
But in my mind there's going to be some growing of the yeast b4 I can pitch that size...
One thing I'm not sure..I know a starter has fresh yeast!!....but what about the yeast that I've harvested?
Use that yeast...a bit confused? So I'll stop there and wait to get confirmation lol
Later, I'm off to buy a couple of small mason jars...prob aquire a wine kit to keep me busy...lol
Bri

No fresh yeast needed Bri, just put 100g of dme in 1L water and boil for 15mins, cool and add your harvested yeast and onto the stir plate, if you need a bigger starter, then after a couple of days, decant the spent wort from starter and pitch the yeast into a new batch of 100g of dme boiled in 1L of water.

P.S if it was your amstel clone yeast its W34/70

No fresh yeast needed Bri, just put 100g of dme in 1L water and boil for 15mins, cool and add your harvested yeast and onto the stir plate, if you need a bigger starter, then after a couple of days, decant the spent wort from starter and pitch the yeast into a new batch of 100g of dme boiled in 1L of water.

P.S if it was your amstel clone yeast its W34/70

Thx pal,
Made notes from the 'how to do' thread and I fell asleep watching YouTube lol
Woke up at 2:30am..haha!!
The 1# Amstel was Saflager s 23..I think lol
The next batch (maybe racked into the corni keg today) is W34/70
Got my mason jars ready...sanitizer all ova..
Then I've got the Saison yeast after that
Thank pal
Bri

Might be silly question...but it Bri..lol
I've got the yeast from Amstel 2# and tbh the yeast is more ****..I've washed it...and got one small jar left, the rest wasn't worth it..
Obvious I'm getting confused a little..
Just coz I haven't done a yeast starter from my reclaimed yeast yet.
Should I practice with this small batch, doing a starter and fathom out how much yeast is gathered??
24,48hrs etc.
This coz I'm not brewing lager for a bit! Anyways it's practice making a starter and bought yeast is cheap!!
I've got two packets s-23
One thing I notice the dried isn't what I expected lol
Thx
Bri

ready to practice yeast starter :smile:
my gas cooker is getting deep cleaned so this single hob does the job.

you right the DME is PITA to use..boil over not a prob..:twisted:

nearly crapped myself putting the wort into the flask...thought it was going to crack!but it was the noise of the tin foil:doh:

my new freebie came in useful..

for my pride n joy..the MkII stirplate...(ballance..thx Dutto)

be looking at it the 2morro afternoon..
thx for viewing.:thumb:
bri

Back