Help with CO2 regulator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemc

Reaction score
I got a Cony keg setup for Christmas and have made a Festvial kit which is now in the Keg.

I am having a few issues with the CO2 regulator and these could be down to me but I am concerned it may be faulty.

The kit was brewed and racked it into the keg and added the priming sugar that came with the kit becuase I had it basically. I know most people don't prime kegs and force carbonate but I thought I would give it a try. The keg was connected to the CO2 cannister and purged of oxygen once filled.

The brew is now ready to drink and so I turned on the gas at the cylinder, turned on the regulator to 10. The beer is flowing although slower than I imagined. I noticed that the regulator has dropped to about 2 PSI although there is plenty of gas in the cylinder. The regulator is pretty much fully open just using my hand. Am I doing something wrong, or is the regulator possibly faulty?

This is the type of regulator.

co2 regulator.jpg

Hi!
I assume that you've fully opened the valve on the CO2 bottle; the gauge will then show what pressure is being delivered to the keg. Use the control valve on the regulator to increase the pressure going into the keg. If you've fully opened the regulator control valve the gauge should indicate a high reading, not 2psi.

Cornies have a very low tolerance between the bottom of the keg and the outlet pipe, if the beer is put in cloudy and containing a bit of sediment then adding priming sugar will only make it worse. You can check that the outlet pipe is clear of trub by putting the gas disconnect onto the beer outlet connection and give it a blast of co2 down thru it to move anything thats blocking it, you should neutralise the pressure in the keg first.

It will then need a few days to settle out.

Yours looks the same as mine. (Although mine's a Chinese knock-off). I had trouble getting enough pressure too, until I realised there's a locking ring under the pressure adjustment knob. It was locked down and preventing the pressure adjuster 'screwing'down far enough. When I slackened the locking ring off, I found I could increase the pressure further.
Dunno if you've got the same problem....just thought I'd mention it... :hat:

You can check that the outlet pipe is clear of trub by putting the gas disconnect onto the beer outlet connection and give it a blast of co2 down thru it to move anything thats blocking it, you should neutralise the pressure in the keg first.

Hi!
Just adding to chewie's excellent suggestion, put a black disconect on your gas line and connect to the OUT peg. Don't attempt to push a grey disconnect on the beer peg.

Thanks for the replies.

The beer is cloudy so I will swap disconnects and give it a blast to see if that works.

Back