Mash Tun Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17277

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting a cool box style mash tun instead of BIAB... nothing fancy... just basically all the mess I make during the brewing is between Mash out and starting the boil.

I'm planning to stick with 5 gallon batches for the foreseeable... All I'm looking to find out is whether a 24L tun will be ok... or should I pay the extra for 35L?

(It's likely I'll be brewing some pretty strong beers from time to time, so the grain bill could be 10kg plus)

I use a 24l cool box and the most I can get in there is approx 5.5 kg of grain. I have just bought a new one from Tesco that is much bigger so I can brew bigger.

always go bigger than you need then you know you got the room for what you need it for

Sounds sensible... Cheers
I've just got an igloo 45L cube, used it last night and it was great. Lost 1 deg over an hour, paid £50 plus parts for valve were about £20

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Consider a stainless Thermo pot.50L version Available for ��£73 on eBay. If you email the seller direct you can save a bit as they omit the eBay commission.

Here's their eBay shop.

http://m.ebay.de/sch/catering-porta...rkäufer:catering-portal&_sasl=catering-portal

Here is their direct email address:

[email protected]

Just tell them what you want, with or without tap, depending on your plans for draining. Some people go without tap and have a bottom drainer.

The tap that comes with it is a two piece tap. One part is like a flanged adaptor which you can unscrew the tap from, screw in a 1/2 inch bsp nipple and then attach a ball valve. Job done.

I got the 38.5 litre model with a tap, delivered to my door for ��£66.

I find the 38.5 litre more than ample for 5 gallon brews, and it still has plenty of space if I want to do a high gravity brew.

$_1.JPG

So I'm thinking about getting a cool box style mash tun instead of BIAB... nothing fancy... just basically all the mess I make during the brewing is between Mash out and starting the boil.

I'm planning to stick with 5 gallon batches for the foreseeable... All I'm looking to find out is whether a 24L tun will be ok... or should I pay the extra for 35L?

(It's likely I'll be brewing some pretty strong beers from time to time, so the grain bill could be 10kg plus)

Go for the 35ltr. I've got a 33ltr and I can manage grain bills up to 8.7kg...for my 8-8.5% abv Scotch ale. If you want to brew stronger you can always do a 4 or 4.5 gallon batch.

I've been looking at this one as well

42 litre for ��£69:
http://the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acat...un-42-ltr.html

Decent size for a good price with tap, this style does seem popular with the US brewers but I don't know what it's heat losses are like over the mash.

That looks quite good...and a good price given it has a decent tap fitted... you could always phone the shop re heat loss. The lid is normally the weak point (fill with vermiculite or perlite)

That looks quite good...and a good price given it has a decent tap fitted... you could always phone the shop re heat loss. The lid is normally the weak point (fill with vermiculite or perlite)

Yeah, I'm not ready to buy yet, but when I do there will be some research into the best buy, but this is top of my list so far.

That looks good, just emailed for a price UK delivered on a 32.5l thermpot with tap fitted to the side

They are well worth it. I found it difficult to find a mash tun for a long time. Then I found some references to these on the Jimsbeerkit forums and was thoroughly delighted with what arrived at my door.

Couldn't afford a shiny one so I got one of these ...

https://www.tesco.com/direct/thermos-insulated-cool-box-32l/242-0442.prd?skuId=242-0442

... did a bit of finagling with 15mm copper tubing, a 2mm drill bit and a garden tap from B&Q and made the Mash Tun shown.

Have mashed up to 7kg of grain without a problem (but NEVER pick it up by the handle when full). Pre-heated with 80 degree water before a mash, Strike Water at 78 degrees and mashed at 68 degrees it loses +/-2 degrees in 60 minutes on a cold winter's day!

Enjoy. :thumb:

Mash Tun.jpg

Couldn't afford a shiny one so I got one of these ...

https://www.tesco.com/direct/thermos-insulated-cool-box-32l/242-0442.prd?skuId=242-0442

... did a bit of finagling with 15mm copper tubing, a 2mm drill bit and a garden tap from B&Q and made the Mash Tun shown.

Have mashed up to 7kg of grain without a problem (but NEVER pick it up by the handle when full). Pre-heated with 80 degree water before a mash, Strike Water at 78 degrees and mashed at 68 degrees it loses +/-2 degrees in 60 minutes on a cold winter's day!

Enjoy. :thumb:
Nice work there dutto.

I am quite busy at the moment so instead of spending £50 on parts and having some fettling to do I am going to bite the bullet and buy a thermo-pot from Germany - 38.5ltr for 88 Euros delivered with tap.

Back