Hop oil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You find it in some of the German kits be very careful with it, its atomic stuff. you can be on squirt off a very nice beer or knackering it up.

Has anyone used hop oil? I've seen it on a couple of sites, but is it worth trying? Ta!

I want o try it so, if you get there before me, please let us know. :grin:

I've tried cherry extract and 1 bottle in 25 litres wasn't cherry enough for me which means £16 of extract needed next time :-(

I've tried cherry extract and 1 bottle in 25 litres wasn't cherry enough for me which means ��£16 of extract needed next time :-(

Were talking hop extract here its a totally different animal than cherry flavouring?

I've tried cherry extract and 1 bottle in 25 litres wasn't cherry enough for me which means £16 of extract needed next time :-(

I'd look into a different cherry extract. I made a plum porter with plum extract from a company called Uncle Roy's Comestible Concoctions. I used 100 drops in 22L at bottling which was a tiny fraction of a bottle and this was almost too plumy.

I've just checked and unfortunately they don't do a cherry extract which seems crazy as the do have cheese, chilli, coconut and just about anything else you can imagine. Just not cherry. :(

I'd look into a different cherry extract. I made a plum porter with plum extract from a company called Uncle Roy's Comestible Concoctions. I used 100 drops in 22L at bottling which was a tiny fraction of a bottle and this was almost too plumy.

I've just checked and unfortunately they don't do a cherry extract which seems crazy as the do have cheese, chilli, coconut and just about anything else you can imagine. Just not cherry. :(

Do you have a url please? Would like to try some coconut extract in a few beers. Would be funny to add some cheese to a beer and give them away to mates. :thumb:

Has anyone used hop oil? I've seen it on a couple of sites, but is it worth trying? Ta!

I used it twice and one beer was under hopped and the other over by a lot. And i am a hop lover. I took a taste of some and was revolting, took forever for the taste to go. I would like to try the aroma oils though but for bittering i will stick to leaf/pellets.

Anyone who wants to add an extract flavour to a beer should just make their own. :thumb:

Vodka is a great solvent and over the years I have made extracts from limes, lemons and oranges (using just the zest), chillies, prunes and apricots (using whole dried fruits) by the simple process of putting the ingredients into a Kilner Jar, filling the jar up with a cheap vodka, sealing down the lid and then putting it on a shelf for a year.

The lime, lemon and orange flavoured vodka makes a great long drink with lemonade in the summer.

The chilli vodka (served neat from the freezer) makes a great nip for a cold winter's afternoon.

The prunes and apricots (and the juice) make a great desert with ice-cream or a great addition to breakfast porridge; but make sure that you aren't driving after eating them!

I can't see any reason why vodka wouldn't extract the flavours from cheese, cherries, desiccated coconut, hops etc so it must be worth a try. :thumb:

Do you have a url please? Would like to try some coconut extract in a few beers. Would be funny to add some cheese to a beer and give them away to mates. :thumb:

Here they are. The plum was very intense. I've used the lemon in cooking and it hasn't been as powerful but it was baked in a cake so a bit harder to judge.

I'm planning on using the blackberry extract (along with some real blackberries) for a Belgian Blackberry IPA.

I think the chocolate might be good in a stout.

EDIT: I've just noticed that they do have a cherry essence. It is down as 'black cherry' rather than cherry, so I didn't spot it.

I also noticed that the ones labelled extract use oil as a carrier so might not be good for foam stability. The essences which are most of them use ethanol and glycol.

I would be interested to know others opinions myself, but to be hoenst I would generally use hops myself..

what would you use it for?? in lieu of say a dry hop?

They look expensive to me so they would have to be very good to replace ordinary hop schedules

Do these oils say what particular hop they are extracted from, if not it could be anything.
The trouble is you don't know the strength or from which hop(s) they used and then you have the dosing problem as well. Personally I would avoid unless you are hellbent on experimenting.

these concentrates could be good for extract brewers who arent confident with using whole hops or hop pellets? Or if your hopped beer lack a bit of punch you could top up the hoppyness by adding some to the bottling bucket quite easily?

Sod it! I'm still trying to help so here's a few other places where they advocate or look at using vodka to extract the essential oils from Hops:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=416153

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=147284

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/hop-flavor-using-vodka.102827/

http://www.stempski.com/hop_vodka.php (this one if very much worth reading)

... and there's even one here about using Butane as a solvent ...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=262990

... which is worth reading if only to avoid it like the plague! :lol:

Enjoy! :thumb:

I've got some, citra and cascade as far as I recall. Now I tried them as an addition to an underhopped brew; and as an addition to a a pint.
Imho, and despite having said on earlier posts that they're OK, which they are; they're nowhere near the flavour or aroma you'd get from a cheap dry hop. I wouldn't buy them again to be fair.
Anyone wants mine and wants to PayPal me 2 quids for postage can give them a try. They've been in the fridge since I bought them.

Back