New to the forum and AG#2 tonight!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone lives near an agricultural supply they normally stock different shapes and sizes of these cubes for transporting water to animals.I have 5 which I use for no chill and also for storing crushed grain and not to mention fermenters 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Is it them camping barrels? Got probs searching in the net...but slow lol

It is similar but I'm not sure if all of those are suitable for boiling liquid.

If you search for 'huenersdorff 426300' on Amazon it should come up. Has a red screw cap and says it is HD-PE Industrial Jerry can.

Welcome to the forum, that looks like a great beer - I do love Fuggles & Styrian Goldings.

Where did you get your no chill cubes from?

They're from Amazon - HD-PE Industrial Jerry can by Huenersdorff company.

As you have found whirpooling works much better with pellet hops. Trying to filter them is a bit of a nightmare.
For mash tun insulation I use the stuff you can get to go behind radiators. You do need the thicker one not just a foil sheet. Just wrap it round on brew day an fix with some string.

Thanks for the tip Dads_Ale :thumb:

Wort has been transferred through a sieve into the FV and yeast has been pitched. It's now sitting at 20c so hopefully by the morning there will be some activity.

Thanks Bri.

I got them from Amazon. Mine are from a company called 'Huenersdorff'. HD-PE plastic. Mine are 10L becuase I figure that that is more useful to me as I won't always be doing 5 gallon batches.

Are you doing no chill because you dont think it makes a difference,
or because you dont have a cooling coil or chill plate? I used to lug
a five gallon cube of wort up the stairs and splash it in a full bath of
cold water for 30 minutes to cool it.

Are you doing no chill because you dont think it makes a difference,
or because you dont have a cooling coil or chill plate? I used to lug
a five gallon cube of wort up the stairs and splash it in a full bath of
cold water for 30 minutes to cool it.

I do have an immersion coil chiller but I'm no chilling atm because its convenient for me and means I don't have to faff around with taps and hoses and waste water. It means that I can break the brew day up and pitch whenever I have time / space.

If I find I have problems with the hop schedule etc or if it causes protein problems from lack of a cold break then I may switch.

When I get round to it I'm going to run some experiments to see how long the wort stays at > 80c after putting it into the cube. This might allow me to adjust my hops schedule with more reasoning.

What yeast are you using? I've done a few batches of the Landlord recipe now, using Wyeast 1469 (supposedly the Timothy Taylor strain). I think it's a great strain for a bitter, even if you aren't trying to clone the beer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What yeast are you using? I've done a few batches of the Landlord recipe now, using Wyeast 1469 (supposedly the Timothy Taylor strain). I think it's a great strain for a bitter, even if you aren't trying to clone the beer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm just using some dried Notty but I'll bear it in mind. Thanks MrN :thumb:

After 8 days in the ferm fridge at 20c I've just got a sample out and tested it with the hydrometer. Seems to be at 10.10 (I don't trust my hydrometer totally - although when I calibrated I know that this is probably about right). I've put up the temp to 23c now to hepl the yeast clean up the beer and then probably after 3/4 days I'll drop it down to about 4c to clear up the beer. Then hopefully bottling Monday(ish).

Really pleased with the beer so far. Colour is lovely. Really nice biscuit malty taste. Not much on the hops but I think given some carbonation and serving temperature they will be there.

hydro sample2.jpg

Back