Our random Saturday eve brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobjack

Reaction score
I get a phone call from my brother yesterday evening telling me he's found a Brewferm tin of Abbey ale (just add copious amounts of brewing sugar for an 8% dubbel style beer apparently) which was bought for him Xmas before last, he wants to make it up and would like my assistance as I've been brewing for a few years.

Rather than add the vast amounts of brewing sugar, we decide on using up a load of ingredients that I have spare. Home brewing's all about experimentation, right?

God knows what it'll turn out like and god knows if the tin of brewferm hopped extract is any good anymore. Here was the recipe using up some leftover grain, extract and hops. This was about a 3.8 gallon brew. Measurements are very much approximated :D

1 tin of Brewferm Abbey Beer
2.8lb Pils extract
1lb Munich extract
100g Dry wheat malt extract
180g brewing sugar

Steeping grains:
Crystal - 100g
Special B - 75g
Aromatic - 50g

Hops:
Styrian Goldings: 60g for 60mins

The yeast came with the tin, I made a starter and amazingly it worked brilliantly! I suspect the yeast packet is at least a couple of years old so it was a real surprise to see how well it took off.

Anyway, I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Looks good, but I'd be worried about the yeast and getting a stuck brew. If you can get hold of any more yeast today, I'd get it and chuck it in asap. Stuck brews are notoriously hard to get going again

Looks good, but I'd be worried about the yeast and getting a stuck brew. If you can get hold of any more yeast today, I'd get it and chuck it in asap. Stuck brews are notoriously hard to get going again

Cool, thanks for the heads up dude. It was my main concern also so I may buy another fresh sachet and just pitch that. The starter was very promising though, very active and took little time to get going so we'll see :)

It may have gotten going quickly but as I understand it the abbey ale kit is a higher ABV% kit? So the yeast is going to need to do a lot of work. There may not be enough cells left after such a long time to do the job and they might just poop out

Latest posts

Back