Greg Hughes - Milk Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croni486

Reaction score
As the title suggest I'm brewing the Greg Hughes Milk Stout from his book tomorrow

Had to tweak it a little bit as my BH efficiency is about 60 -65% looking at the most recent brews.

Obviously the grain bill has increased slightingly to compensate along with the hops.

After posting in another thread it was mentioned about cold steeping the roasted barley and chocolate malt as it supposed to give a smoother taste, so i thought i'd give it a try. Absolutely nothing to compare it too but i have enough grains to run another batch if its not drinkable. The smell from the cold steep is fantastic.

I've gone for a White Labs WLP004 instead of the Wyeast 1318 that wasn't available and made myself a starter that is currently in the fridge.

Snow's forecast for tonight so lets hope its cleared by the morning and its not too cold a day to be stuck in the garage.

Finally got to try the milk Stout. After yet another stuck sparge and what seemed like an eternity waiting for it to condition, it has actually turned out the best brew so far.

IMG_0110.JPG

It did look a cracker.

I had another pint last night and being a complete novice with only a handful of brews under my belt I was extremely happy with the result.

So in preparation for a Czech pilsner that I'm hoping to brew on Wednesday I ventured in to the garage. Thought I'd to do a bit of prep work and see how the yeast starter was progressing only to find I'd developed a leak on the JG fitting and had 15 litres of milk stout in th bottom of my kegorator :oops:

At least SWMBO was sympathetic and told me to go out and buy more grains to brew another stout.

Hi!
I'm just about to bottle my Greg Hughes(ish) Milk Stout.
I considered cold steeping, but decided on a late addition of darker grains to the mash - they were in for the final 15 minutes only.
I'm sorry for your loss - fittings never leak on iffy beers!

The best bit about the brew was that even after it had been sitting in the bottom of the chest freezer for a few hours it still had a nice head on it. :lol:

Latest posts

Back