How long to let beer condition in pressure barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebowles

Reaction score
I sincerely apologize if this question is covered somewhere else in this forum -- I had a quick look and couldn't find it, but how long is the optimum time for letting your beer condition in the pressure barrel? One YouTube video intimated that between 4 - 6 weeks was about right. Any longer? I'm preparing to make my first batch of Young's IPA from their Micro Brewery and I'd like it to go as well as possible. I've bought one of the heating pads and temp controllers to make sure that fermentation is spot on.

Thanks in advance, brewmeisters. :smile::smile:

.......... One YouTube video intimated that between 4 - 6 weeks was about right. Any longer? .............

Assuming 2 weeks fermentation then (in the PB) two weeks carbonation, the remaining 2 - 4 weeks (i.e. 4 - 6 weeks minus 2) is spot-on as a minimum. :thumb:

After three days of carbonation, check that the pressure is actually building in the PB by taking a small sample. If it isn't slightly "fizzy" after three days the chances are that the cap needs tightening down because the CO2 is escaping via the cap-seal. (There can be other causes but the No.1 reason is a leak past the "O" ring on the cap!)

Enjoy. :thumb:

Back