Apricot Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
From an old wine book , kicking off the following this week. Any suggestions welcome:

5l batch

350g Dried Apricots(chopped or minced)
1kg sugar
4.5l water
1tsp citric acid
Mug of strong tea
1tsp glycerine
1tsp pectolase
1tsp yeast
1tsp nutrient

All in a bucket - stir daily for 3 days
Ferment 4 days
Strain liquid into DJ with airlock and finish off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forget the glycerine you dont need it and it causes headaches up the apricots to 500g, or add 100g of sultan, use a sherry yeast, simmer apricots for 15mins in pint of water add to bucket make up to 2 litre double the pectolose 2-3teaspoons leave 3-4 days daily stir and press apricots then add sugar made into syrup with the rest of the water, when luke warm add nutrient yeast and white grape concentrate, (£3.50 wilko ) level teaspoon citric acid, cover for a few days until the ferment slows then strain into demi johns under air lock , until finished, I made 2 gallon this year of dessert apricot its superb.

forget the glycerine you dont need it and it causes headaches up the apricots to 500g, or add 100g of sultan, use a sherry yeast, simmer apricots for 15mins in pint of water add to bucket make up to 2 litre double the pectolose 2-3teaspoons leave 3-4 days daily stir and press apricots then add sugar made into syrup with the rest of the water, when luke warm add nutrient yeast and white grape concentrate, (£3.50 wilko ) level teaspoon citric acid, cover for a few days until the ferment slows then strain into demi johns under air lock , until finished, I made 2 gallon this year of dessert apricot its superb.

Thanks Tanz - what difference does the Sherry yeast make ? I was going to use the normal youngs super.

The sherry yeast makes it richer in fact more like an apricot sherry, with the sugar you quote and some grape concentrate you should get a medium sherry type wine, i make mine with a combination of fresh and dried apricots, most of my wine is made in summer its warmer more constant temps for the yeasts, i make lager this time of year .

The sherry yeast makes it richer in fact more like an apricot sherry, with the sugar you quote and some grape concentrate you should get a medium sherry type wine, i make mine with a combination of fresh and dried apricots, most of my wine is made in summer its warmer more constant temps for the yeasts, i make lager this time of year .

Thanks ! If you have a good lager to do chuck that my way too : should be ready for the summer BBQ's [emoji106]

i am doing the Coopers Mexican Cerveza at the minute dry hopped with falconer flight when putting into secondary for two weeks i add them for the last 8 days in secondary, i dont like these Stella type heavy headache lagers, i like light fresh for summer drinking, if you like Cider you have to give the Cider works Apple or Apple and Elderflower a go, Mate there superb just make to sweet its lovely stuff and not sweet at all

i am doing the Coopers Mexican Cerveza at the minute dry hopped with falconer flight when putting into secondary for two weeks i add them for the last 8 days in secondary, i dont like these Stella type heavy headache lagers, i like light fresh for summer drinking, if you like Cider you have to give the Cider works Apple or Apple and Elderflower a go, Mate there superb just make to sweet its lovely stuff and not sweet at all

Cider works looks like a good price too (just googled) £21.95 for a 40 pint batch.

There the best cider kits going in my opinion, i love them , try them i dont think you will be dissapointed.

Kicked this off yesterday - kept to the same fruit sugar measure as wanted to stay true to the book. Call me a romanticist !

Added more pectolase and dropped the glycerine as suggested.

Stirred today - smells lovely.

Just strained this into DJ.
Put through muslin cloth.
Took an Sg and it's already at 0.996, so almost there ! Pretty quick ?
Tastes good - definite Apricot.

Leave 3 months in bottle at least, improves a lot.

Bottled this up this morning. 6 lovely bottles - note 6 Chippy [emoji106]
Tastes good - dry [emoji108]

Just opened a bottle of this. So 4 months after sitting in the bottle.
The aroma is a real apricot sweetness but then tasting it's actually dry and fruity.
Really like this, it's a keeper.

Just opened a bottle of this. So 4 months after sitting in the bottle.
The aroma is a real apricot sweetness but then tasting it's actually dry and fruity.
Really like this, it's a keeper.

Makes a superb dessert wine mixed with extra sugar sultanas and a sherry yeast but needs 9 months to a year in bottle, but worth making

Latest posts

Back