LarryF Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that sugar can thin beer out but saying that at the amount we're talking about its going to be negligible. On the next one I'll just lob in 50g of sugar and see how it goes.

Tonight I bottled my John Bull Best Bitter, I ended up dry hopping it with 50g of pellets where the label has come off and whilst the could be one of two or three I'm not 100% sure. Still it went from OG:1057 - SG:1008 and tasted lovely in the trial jar and I'm looking forward to this one. I then put on a Wilko Delicate Pilsner with 1kg BE and 300g of Golden Syrup. I boiled 30g of US Crystal 3.6% AA for 30 mins and added the tea, I'll dry hop with 20g of the same in nine days or so, OG:1052. I lazy pitched a packet Wilko yeast and just stirred it in at 21c, it was nearly midnight by then. What kept me was that I decided to Oxy wash and brush all my bottles and I have ro say they came up gleaming I think I might look to do that at least once a year even though I do rinse and spray whenever I pour a beer.

Not updated this for a while so here goes, I bottled a :

John Bull IPA (last of the Tesco Sale)
23L - 25/04/17 - 20/05/17 - 20-21c no temp control
S04 + 1tsp Yeast Nutrient, no starter.
1Kg Youngs BE, 50g honey
52g Crystal USA 3.9%AA - 20m boil, tea and bag added to FV
OG:1060 - FG:1007 - 7%

The extra fermentables got away from me a bit on that one with the 1.8Kg kit and all.

I then put on a,:

Better Brew Czech Pilsner
23L - 20/05/17 - 03/06/17 no temp control
Re-pitched S04 +1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1Kg BE + 40g light brown sugar.
50g Falconers flight 9.5%AA on a 15m boil, tea and bag added to the FV
OG: 1054

I can taste the bitterness of the Falconers flight in the trial jar and that's what I'm looking to add to this, I do like a high IBU (pseudo) lager or very light ale. I may dry hop, I'll see on Tuesday week.

Bottling a Betterbrew Czech Pilsner today, made with a mystery hop tea and dry hop (label fell off and I can't for the life of me remember what they are). OG was 1057 so hoping for something about 6%. I'm putting on a Coopers Stout that I'll be adding coffee and chocolate to. And as its a Stout there is of course the mandatory......

image.jpg

Back