So...my first kit for a while...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastLord

Reaction score
And I'm really hoping to make a good job of it!

So I was wondering if a tweak might be in order - having read a few threads it seems malt or wort along with hops at some point can boost a kit.

Could I therefore ask for specific advice on a kit that is in the post to me - Woodfords Headcracker. I have always loved Barley wine so thought I would treat myself to what seems to be a well reviewed beer :)

Looking at the details it seems no sugar is required to be added? But if there are any improvements I could make your advice would be much appreciated.

All the very best from sunny Scotland,
Stu

PS. I do love a good strong beer (or full bodied as I like to say) but for me it quality over quantity and a pint/bottle of an evening is always enough.
Just thought I would clarify this in case any think I'm brewing my way to alcoholism :)

That's quite a strong kit to start out with and brewed quite short compared to other kits in the Woodfordes range i.e. 24 vs. 40 pints so personally I probably would be adding any extra fermentables.

You could do a grain steep with some chocolate malt or similar if you wanted to boost the flavour. As for adding extra hops, I'm no expert on this one but Mosaic are often recommended for dark beers but you could dry hop with 50g of whatever takes your fancy.

Also as it's a kit made by Muntons I'd be looking to use a different yeast as the supplied sachet is know to cause stuck fermentation issues though mainly because there isn't enough of it rather than anything else. Maybe use a Nottingham?

That's quite a strong kit to start out with and brewed quite short compared to other kits in the Woodfordes range i.e. 24 vs. 40 pints so personally I probably would be adding any extra fermentables.

You could do a grain steep with some chocolate malt or similar if you wanted to boost the flavour. As for adding extra hops, I'm no expert on this one but Mosaic are often recommended for dark beers but you could dry hop with 50g of whatever takes your fancy.

Also as it's a kit made by Muntons I'd be looking to use a different yeast as the supplied sachet is know to cause stuck fermentation issues though mainly because there isn't enough of it rather than anything else. Maybe use a Nottingham?

Thanks very much for the reply Graz. I didn't know about the possible yeast issue - just seen a Nottingham (coincidentally where I grew up) yeast on eBay for £4.36 delivered.

Off to research grain steeps with chocolate malt and mosaic dry hopping for barley wine now :)

Thanks very much for the reply Graz. I didn't know about the possible yeast issue - just seen a Nottingham (coincidentally where I grew up) yeast on eBay for �£4.36 delivered.

Off to research grain steeps with chocolate malt and mosaic dry hopping for barley wine now :)
Wilko Ale yeast is generally acknowledged to be a Nottingham and is cheaper.
If you are looking for both yeast and hops Crossmyloofbrewery (CML) supply both at good prices and many on here use them with apparently good results. If you want, PM me for their email address.
Guides for hops here
Suitable hops for English and American ales - The HomeBrew Forum
and here
Hops Varieties for Brewing Beer Guide | Where legends are made

Wilko Ale yeast is generally acknowledged to be a Nottingham and is cheaper.
If you are looking for both yeast and hops Crossmyloofbrewery (CML) supply both at good prices and many on here use them with apparently good results. If you want, PM me for their email address.
Guides for hops here
Suitable hops for English and American ales - The HomeBrew Forum
and here
Hops Varieties for Brewing Beer Guide | Where legends are made

Thanks very much Terry, yes please the email address would be great. I've always loved Wilco's but sadly since moving to Aberdeenshire the nearest is over three hours away.

Thanks very much for the reply Graz. I didn't know about the possible yeast issue - just seen a Nottingham (coincidentally where I grew up) yeast on eBay for �£4.36 delivered.

The' might come from Nottingham lad ...

... but dinnae be daft noo!

There's a brew shop here ...

376 Great Northern Rd, Aberdeen AB24 2AX

... that sells kits, yeast and hops.

Enjoy! :thumb:

The' might come from Nottingham lad ...

... but dinnae be daft noo!

There's a brew shop here ...

376 Great Northern Rd, Aberdeen AB24 2AX

... that sells kits, yeast and hops.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Ey up mi duck,

Thanks for the info - I did know about them but the prices seem to be 'Aberdeen' (i.e. oil town) level. Being on a budget and having no plans to go Aberdeen way for a couple of weeks I scouted around and got a good deal and excellent service from Inn House Brewery (Glenbrew) in Glasgow.

Having said that I will go to the Aberdeen one next time I'm that way :thumb:

Back