CONUNDRUM - dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbates

Reaction score
Hi guys, would really appreciate some advice on this one :thumb:

I recently brewed a session ale but, for one reason or another (but mostly my own stupidity), only did one of two planned dry hops. The beer is now carbonated and it's tasting okay but could do with a little more from the hops.

Usually I would say c'est la vie and go with it, but I promised some to a friend for his 50th birthday party this weekend. I was going to give him a 10l basic barrel (the Ritchie's ones) with a sprinklet valve on top. Would it be worth dry hopping in the barrel and then re-pressurising with the gas bulbs, or would this be a disaster?

Not sure if it's even possible so thought I'd see if anyone has done something similar!

Cheers guys.

"C'es..." what? Is that Spanish for bol*****?

What I'm about to do, but you might struggle with using your equipment? I'll ferment my "Nanny State" clone in the barrel, as there is hardly anything to ferment and I'll want to use half the fermentation for carbonating (priming isn't an option). Chill the beer right down (-1C would be nice, but 3-4C fridge temp might have to do). Vent pressure, off with lid, in with (chilled) hops in a bag, spider, or whatever, on with lid, re-pressure with CO2, and put at room temperature for 4-5 days. Then repeat (chilling, etc.) but removing the hops.

Yep I would go for doing it but they need to be contained in a teaball or muslin sock,it won't haze the beer too much imo being drunk quickly won't give up any grassy after tastes either
Fwiw I dry hop kegs regular if i aint getting enough hop kick without any problems

Yep I would go for doing it but they need to be contained in a teaball or muslin sock,it won't haze the beer too much imo being drunk quickly won't give up any grassy after tastes either
Fwiw I dry hop kegs regular if i aint getting enough hop kick without any problems

Hi Godsdog,

I am sure you use Cornies from previous threads, I have been thinking about the dry hopping kegs recently, I would be interested in how you add the hops to the keg & how long they are actually in there (i.e. how long until you empty a keg).

I have also been looking into making a pumped hopback (for 0 minute hops) and hop randals (instead of adding the hops to the keg).

Anyone else got any experiences of any of these?

Thanks, Godsdog. Yeah, it should all be drunk on day 3 so it should actually be at peak flavour, and I have some hop socks I can use :thumb:

Mainly worried that it'll be difficult to re-carbonate - not sure how effective the little 8g sprinklet bulbs are!

"C'es..." what? Is that Spanish for bol*****?

What I'm about to do, but you might struggle with using your equipment? I'll ferment my "Nanny State" clone in the barrel, as there is hardly anything to ferment and I'll want to use half the fermentation for carbonating (priming isn't an option). Chill the beer right down (-1C would be nice, but 3-4C fridge temp might have to do). Vent pressure, off with lid, in with (chilled) hops in a bag, spider, or whatever, on with lid, re-pressure with CO2, and put at room temperature for 4-5 days. Then repeat (chilling, etc.) but removing the hops.

It is indeed!

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it'll be possible :-(

Hi Godsdog,

I am sure you use Cornies from previous threads, I have been thinking about the dry hopping kegs recently, I would be interested in how you add the hops to the keg & how long they are actually in there (i.e. how long until you empty a keg).

I have also been looking into making a pumped hopback (for 0 minute hops) and hop randals (instead of adding the hops to the keg).

Haven't seen a pumped hopback, but have considered making one of these.

... That sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it'll be possible :-(
But you've mentioned to "Godsdog" it'll all be drunk in 2-3 days. So you don't need to repeat the process to get the hops out. Just get the hops in 4-5 days before it's needed. Keep in a warm place until you need it (dry hopping is more effective at room temp.).

I've mentioned chilling everything to hang on to much of the carbonation. So one of those 8g capsules shouldn't be too stressed getting the pressure back up (it only needs to pressurise the, at that stage, small headspace).

Put the hops in a hop sock especially if using pellets. If using whole hops you might get away with just throwing them in if not too many, and if folk don't mind seeing the odd hop cone in their glass :-?

Hi Godsdog,

Yep drain and guzzle the whole keg with the hops in the keg,whoops in answer to the wrong numbered post,meant in reply to Smiley's post 4

Hi Godsdog,

As regards a hop Randall,I have one and can tell you to go a lot easier and lighter on the weight of hops using one,I find 20 gram is far to much,next time I use it I'm only gonna put in 5 gram ,you'd be surprised at how those little pellets expand and grow given the right environment to do so

As an aside,I only use the Randall to flavour the finished beer as it comes out the cornie through the Randall holding the hop pellets and then through to the serving tap,in my case the flash chiller tap,at no time do I use it like in that link in the boil of the wort

Hi guys, would really appreciate some advice on this one :thumb:

I recently brewed a session ale but, for one reason or another (but mostly my own stupidity), only did one of two planned dry hops. The beer is now carbonated and it's tasting okay but could do with a little more from the hops.

Usually I would say c'est la vie and go with it, but I promised some to a friend for his 50th birthday party this weekend. I was going to give him a 10l basic barrel (the Ritchie's ones) with a sprinklet valve on top. Would it be worth dry hopping in the barrel and then re-pressurising with the gas bulbs, or would this be a disaster?

Not sure if it's even possible so thought I'd see if anyone has done something similar!

Cheers guys.

Dry hopping the barrel is a traditional technique there's no reason at all not to do it, follow the advice to use a hop sock or muslin bag to stop the tap getting clogged but otherwise go for it.

Quick update on this one - I did indeed dry hop last night (in a hop sock) and inject CO2 with the sprinklet system. It obviously injected A LOT more than needed and the barrel swelled quickly, to the point I was worried it may split. Luckily it didn't and I opened the tap to let some of the pressure out. Should be all good now for the event on Saturday.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions :thumb:

Quick update on this one - I did indeed dry hop last night (in a hop sock) and inject CO2 with the sprinklet system. It obviously injected A LOT more than needed and the barrel swelled quickly, to the point I was worried it may split. Luckily it didn't and I opened the tap to let some of the pressure out. Should be all good now for the event on Saturday.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions :thumb:
All PB caps should be fitted with a pressure relief device (apart from the very obvious blank cap) and if the PB is potentially overpressured they should automatically vent to keep the PB within its safe working limits. If you are unsure about the pressure relief on your PB I suggest you check it out as best you can or talk to Ritchies. Better safe than sorry imo.

All PB caps should be fitted with a pressure relief device (apart from the very obvious blank cap) and if the PB is potentially overpressured they should automatically vent to keep the PB within its safe working limits. If you are unsure about the pressure relief on your PB I suggest you check it out as best you can or talk to Ritchies. Better safe than sorry imo.

I did think it was odd! It's the first time I've used it. I thought maybe it was just different with the sprinklet lids?

Back