Please recommend a good & simple IPA kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon12

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
A neighbour has asked me to recommend a good IPA kit, price isn't a big concern but simple with good instructions is. I only ever made 1 kit beer so please help me out

Reason it needs to be simple:
They recently did a Wilko pilsner and asked me why it wasn't fermenting asfter talking about how the yeast could have been dead and stuff turned out they didn't add the yeast, saw them a few days later and they said fermentation had stopped so they put it in a pressure barrel with 500g of sugar and never added sugar to start with. No idea why they had put it in the pressure barrel as they intended to bottle it

Youngs American IPA is very nice and everything is in the box.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Whatever IPA your neighbour goes with it might be a good idea to ditch the kit yeast. This time of year maybe look at a yeast with a higher temperature tolerance. Failing that there's always Wilko Gervin yeast which can be just sprinkled on top of the wort and is a fire and forget yeast.

There are two sorts of IPA. One is the traditional English IPA like Worthington White Shield, the other is the American IPA like many Brewdog beers heavily hopped with American type hops. Suggest you ask your neighbour what he wants.
In the meantime I would go with the Youngs AIPA for the American as others have said, noting that it can take three weeks or more to ferment out.
+1 on reading kit reviews.

Cheers for the answers, I don't think they would have a clue about IPA types so I will just recommend the youngs. I would have looked at reviews but they don't tend to say much about how good the instructions are.

Whatever IPA your neighbour goes with it might be a good idea to ditch the kit yeast. This time of year maybe look at a yeast with a higher temperature tolerance. Failing that there's always Wilko Gervin yeast which can be just sprinkled on top of the wort and is a fire and forget yeast.

Muntons 6g packets maybe but I'm sure the Youngs kits come with around 15-18 grams? The Ale yeast supplied is very good imo.

Cheers for the answers, I don't think they would have a clue about IPA types so I will just recommend the youngs. I would have looked at reviews but they don't tend to say much about how good the instructions are.

This maybe where it falls down for him as most of us take the instructions in a beer kit as an interpretation as to how it should be made. The key bits are to pretty much ignore where it says fermentation will be complete in 5-7 days, it may be but extra time for the yeast to clean up is beneficial. Leave it two weeks before doing anything. If the kit includes a dry hop only add these when fermentation is more or less complete, personally I just wait the two weeks, then add them for however many days the kit suggests typically 2-3 days then bottle / keg. If you're impatient though add them 2-3 days before the end of the 2 weeks provided the is no sign of an active fermentation. Some American ale yeasts can take longer.

IMG_20170720_174043571.jpg
I keep instructions and related stuff.
These are the instructions from a Youngs American kit I did some time ago.
Hopefully good enough to give you an idea of what to expect

Attachments

• IMG_20170720_174049038.jpg
    IMG_20170720_174049038.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20170720_175630458[1].jpg
    IMG_20170720_175630458[1].jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 118
sorry, I'm not clear all grain or extract?

also download the trial of beersmith2 plug the ingredient it has vs your kit and you will get better results

Are the instructions clear on the tiny rebel & razorback?

I haven't done the Cwtch but all Festival kits come with very clear instructions and everything is in the box including hops, priming sugar and even a muslin bag for filtering when siphoning.

Yes the Cwtch instructions are good and clear.

A bit of an unorthodox method of brewing (steep some of the hops in the bucket with some boiled water, then add the liquid malt on top followed by topping up with water and adding yeast) but it works and produces a great beer. I suppose its so you can do everything in one vessel and not have to worry about transferring and straining.

Yes the Cwtch instructions are good and clear.

A bit of an unorthodox method of brewing (steep some of the hops in the bucket with some boiled water, then add the liquid malt on top followed by topping up with water and adding yeast) but it works and produces a great beer. I suppose its so you can do everything in one vessel and not have to worry about transferring and straining.

Must admit I found the Cwtch instructions a lille odd at first, but followed them to the letter and a nice brew it was too.
I did the US Steam Beer kit (can't remember maker) and it was good, really good. In fact I would do it again. Just done half a Nelsons revenge, and I can say it hits all the wrong notes for me, but I guess that is down to doing a lot of AG and a change in taste/palate. One mans meat one mans etc etc

Latest posts

Back