Too little sugar Added

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot_beer

Reaction score
Just realised 2 days into fermentation of a Young Scottish heavy kit that I should have added 1.5kg of sugar rather than the 1kg I added. Is it a total waste or Will it still be safe and drinkable just with less alcohol than 5.6% expected? The OG was 1.040. Will teach me to read tin rather than rely on websites which still list it as 1kg required.

I can cope with less strength for once as long as it can not make me ill.

Well it won't make you ill,just lower abv.
Don't see any reason that you can't add 500 grams more,boiled in some water and allowed to cool down before adding to the FV. I have never done it,but really can't see why not.
Sure someone will be along to add thier thoughts:thumb:

Make the other 500g into a syrup by boiling up some water to sterilise and adding the sugar.Let it cool to fermenter temp and add.The yeast are plenty active and will still convert the sugar.

Gerry

Once it us cooled do I simply pour it in gently to fermenting vessel or do I have to give it a stir? Concerned about getting bugs in.

Once it us cooled do I simply pour it in gently to fermenting vessel or do I have to give it a stir? Concerned about getting bugs in.
If you have use boiling water to make up the syrup, cover it as it cools, gently pour the cooled syrup into the beer, and replace the FV lid as quickly as practicable, you should have no problems whatsover imo. There is no need to stir in the syrup, the yeasties will find the sugar and it will all homogenise in time.

Latest posts

Back