Dutto's Brew Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mean only three Recipes and Methods then "Mea Culpa"!

I started the Thread in late December last year and Brew Number 12 of 2017 is fermenting away on the worktop. (Hopefully!).

Don't know where the rest went to though! (Just checked on What Did You Brew Today and they ain't there!)

Sorry! :doh:

Duttos brew day with 3/3 below.
ff9ba81d2908675216e8c89d89abff89.jpg

Gerry

This will probably take the Thread to Page 12 on the MacBook Air! :thumb:

I doubled the size of my cooler today because in the summer the tap water warms up and causes a "double whammy"! i.e. It take longer to cool the wort down and the dangers of wild yeasts and fruit-flies increase. :doh:

I've already tested the joints for leaks and cleaned off the excess flux, so now all I have to do is to boil it in plain water and then start cooling. (I'll wait until the new 7Kw burner is delivered and time both the boil and cooling times.)

There's +/-5 metres of 15mm copper tubing in the new version and that translates to +/-0.24 square metres of cooling area! :thumb:

New Cooler 1.jpg

New Cooler MK2.jpg

Bucking tradition and gone square.
Out of interest - how much to make ? I was looking to buy as I’m **** at DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucking tradition and gone square.
Out of interest - how much to make ? I was looking to buy as I’m **** at DIY.

Make what?

o My Mash Tun was knocked up out of a load of 15mm pipe and a 32 litre Cooler.

o My Cooler is a couple of lengths of 15mm copper pipe and a few elbows.

o My water heater is an old FV fitted with an immersion heater from an old steamer. (Thanks to Big Col, who gave me the immersion heater!)

o I use an old FV and a Lidl purchased SDS Drill (to save hand-grinding out the grain) on the cheapest Corona type grain Mill I could find.

o For boiling stuff, I'm still using a 15kg Propane cylinder I inherited off my Mum; and she died in 2009!

o To heat up anything in the garage I use a burner/grill/oven that I ripped out of an old motorhome.

o My Brew Fridge uses a Greenhouse Heater and is controlled by an Inkbird STC1000.

Would I like a Grainfather instead? :?: I would rip your arm off! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are ever in Skegness then PM me and drop by for a quick course in DIY and a brew! :thumb: :thumb:

Make what?

o My Mash Tun was knocked up out of a load of 15mm pipe and a 32 litre Cooler.

o My Cooler is a couple of lengths of 15mm copper pipe and a few elbows.

o My water heater is an old FV fitted with an immersion heater from an old steamer. (Thanks to Big Col, who gave me the immersion heater!)

o I use an old FV and a Lidl purchased SDS Drill (to save hand-grinding out the grain) on the cheapest Corona type grain Mill I could find.

o For boiling stuff, I'm still using a 15kg Propane cylinder I inherited off my Mum; and she died in 2009!

o To heat up anything in the garage I use a burner/grill/oven that I ripped out of an old motorhome.

o My Brew Fridge uses a Greenhouse Heater and is controlled by an Inkbird STC1000.

Would I like a Grainfather instead? :?: I would rip your arm off! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are ever in Skegness then PM me and drop by for a quick course in DIY and a brew! :thumb: :thumb:

Damn - was there for May bank holiday (first time in 20 years). Hold that offer until next May [emoji106]

Not you...for those who can't free up the fridge weeks on end...to lager...make a fake one...as I am..I hope! It tastes great but has woken up again after being raised from 14 to 20...but the fg hasn't changed for 2 days so may bottle tomorrow. ....
I know it aint lager,but have done two Kolsch brews which were very good,to me they are sort of lagerish:lol: and have intentions of doing more:thumb:

I know it aint lager,but have done two Kolsch brews which were very good,to me they are sort of lagerish:lol: and have intentions of doing more:thumb:

If you like it brew it! :thumb:

I always try to brew stuff I like but I've seen things on the Forum that have got me going "Hmmm ...?" and then I step well away from my "comfort zone" of Bitter, Mild and Stout!

e.g.

Pumpkins at 10p each in Lidl last October resulted in a Wilco Cerveza being pimped with pumpkin and All Spice ready for Christmas. :thumb:

Chillies chucked into a Wilko Cerveza last Spring gave a lovely drink that should probably have been tippled in Winter but didn't last that long. (I have a dozen chillies steeping in vodka ready for a similar brew sometime in November.) :thumb:

The Vienna Lager that has been a great success and will definitely be repeated. :thumb:

So far so good; with the exception of a Barley Wine which only makes a palatable drink when it's mixed 50:50 with lemonade! :doh:

I too done a pumpkin ale inspired by Dutto...I had a glut of pumpkin from my allotment so decided to try...it turned out rather good and didn't last very long!

I went out to take a look at the two SMASH brews I have fermenting.

The SMASH with Saaz (the one where I dropped the Mash Tun) with an OG 1.034 was at FG 1.010 (an ABV of 3.15%) so it got transferred to the King Keg.

However, the SMASH with EKG which started at OG of 1.043 was only down to SG 1.014 so I upped the temperature to 24 degrees and she re-started fermenting yesterday evening.

For beer, I think I will just stick with Gervin Ale yeast from Wilco in the future! :thumb:

Today I brewed a Pale Ale with an expected final ABV of +/-5%. This is the recipe:

NGREDIENTS
4.50kg of Maris Otter Malt
0.25kg of Cara Malt
0.25kg of Crystal Malt
0.20kg of Flaked Oats
25g EKG leaf
15g Saaz leaf
25g Hallertau leaf
Wilco Ale Yeast
Protafloc Tablet

PREPARATION
Mill 4.50kg of Maris Otter.
Mill 0.25kg of Cara Malt
Mill 0.25kg of Crystal Malt
Weigh 0.20kg of Flaked Oats (Tesco Best!)
Prepare 1 x 25g EKG and 1 x 15g Saaz Bittering Hops
Prepare 1 x 25g Hallertau Aroma Hops.
Put out 1 x Protafloc Tablet.
Put out 1 x Wilco Ale Yeast & Yeast Nutrient.

MASH METHOD
Strike Water = 3.0 litres per 1kg of grain = 16.0 litres at 85 degrees
Mash at 70 to 75 degrees for one hour - DO NOT exceed 75 degrees. (Actually 72 degrees!)
Run off wort and circulate using TWO vessels until wort runs CLEAR.
Heat SPARGE water to 80 degrees.
Sparge at one litre per minute. Stop sparge when runnings reach SG1.008 / SG1.012.
Started with 30 litres, finished with 22 litres, recovered to FV 20 litres and added 3 litres of cold water to bring to 23 litres.

BOIL METHOD
Boil with 25g of EKG and 15g of Saaz Bittering Hops for 60 minutes.
Add Protafloc tablet and boil for 10 minutes.
Add 25g of Hallertau Aroma Hops for 5 minutes.
Cool to 24 degrees, run off into FV and add Yeast Nutrient.
Pitch yeast and ferment at 22 degrees on worktop with Heating Pad assist.

The Day was very "Ho, hum!" with the usual cock-ups!

1. I ran out of Hop Bags so lumping both Bittering Hops together is definitely "Plan B"! :whistle:

2. I ran the Mash Water to the ground by leaving the Mash Tun valve open when fillet it from the water heater. This added an hour to the day! :doh:

3. The Mash Tun started leaking at the valve halfway through the mash! Job for tomorrow.

4. When SWMBO asked "Do you know that the gas ring windbreak is on fire?" I answered "Yes. Of course!" and put it out with the spray I use for the BBQ. Must make a bigger windbreak tomorrow! :whistle:

5. The hose connection from the Immersion Cooler blew off at the start of the cooling. Didn't affect the efficiency BUT another job for tomorrow!

The rest of the day went really well. The new gas ring worked a treat and had the wort boiling in about 20 minutes.

The improved cooler had the wort down to 24 degrees within thirty minutes which is fantastic given the ambient temperature. :thumb:

The wort tasted really sweet when I sampled the OG sample. As it's almost certainly "non fermentable sugars" (due to the high mash temperature) it bodes well for a session beer come Christmas.

All in all a happy day but totally knackered so "Nite Nite!" :thumb:

What a nightmare! like the bit where you say the rest of the day went really well though! Glass half full kinda guy like me :lol:

Back