The 'Recommend me a TV series' thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been watching Bosch on Amazon Prime, throught the first 2 series and no onto series 3. Thoroughly enjoying it.

As a few weeks of not watching The Americans we are backing watching it and have just started season 2. Still loving it!

To whoever first mentioned The Americans. Thanks.
icon_thumbsup.gif

I've watched them all now.

Just gone back and checked. It was GhostShip
Just realised that there's a fifth season..
icon_eek.gif

Here are a few old and current shows that I found to be excellent;

Farscape - Classic Sci Fi series ft some amazing Jim Henson stuff.

Stranger Things - Found on Netflix, think of the Goonies, but actually good.

Dexter - Thriller about a serial killer that works for the police. Amazing cast, kept me on the edge of my seat.

Bates Motel - Thriller about Norman Bates' decline into madness, prologue to the original Psycho film , staring Vera Farmiga as "Mother".

Taken - Alien abduction thriller series about a few families with a history of abduction. So good!

Here are a few old and current shows that I found to be excellent;

Farscape - Classic Sci Fi series ft some amazing Jim Henson stuff.

Stranger Things - Found on Netflix, think of the Goonies, but actually good.

Dexter - Thriller about a serial killer that works for the police. Amazing cast, kept me on the edge of my seat.

Bates Motel - Thriller about Norman Bates' decline into madness, prologue to the original Psycho film , staring Vera Farmiga as "Mother".

Taken - Alien abduction thriller series about a few families with a history of abduction. So good!

Stranger things was awesome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can only back up the positive comments about Breaking Bad, Batter Call Saul and Dexter; all of them are thoroughly excellent TV shows. I'll recommend another one, Ozark on Netflix is brilliant as well.
Oh and Tin Star is worth a watch too.

Really enjoying Mr. Robot. on Amazon Prime. The murky corporate world, anarchistic computer hackers and severe mental health issues, certainly makes an interesting mix.

Interesting to see "Taken" getting a mention. Another 90's series that's well worth a watch is "Dark Skies".
Of the current crop, I'm loving "Stranger Things" and "The Expanse" at the moment.

A slightly quirky one I have enjoyed is The man in the high castle, loosely based in the book by Phillip K Dick. Set post ww2, the Germans won the war and have occupied the US. The Japanese occupy the west coast.

Another vote for Dexter, SoA and Ray Donovan. I did enjoy house of cards but found it got a bit dull from S4 onwards.

Enjoyed the first series of Designated Survivor, again second series less good.

Hemlock Grove was wired, in a very good way!.

Night Manager was best thing I have seen in a long time on BBC.

Currently watching Strike Back, it really is complete boswellox, but so far just the right side of the fun/awful threshold.

A reminder, for anyone interested, that the third (and apparently, final) series of Detectorists starts tonight (Wednesday) - BBC Four, 10.00pm.

I haven't watched any of this but this could be next.
By the way I've just finished the last ever episode of The Americans.
Once again many thanks to Ghostship for recommending this.

For those who enjoy stranger things should try Dark, its German so subtitiles or dub

its very similar its a little more grown up and cleverer plot than ST.. Not saying its better, ST has things which are better but Dark really is clever

I enjoyed watching Dark, dubbed voices were done well enough to not spoil it.
I found I really needed to give it my full intention because of how it jumps between decades, I could easily watch it all again and find bits I missed first time.
I will give Stranger Things a go.
I also really enjoyed House Of Cards

Dexter, definitely worth a watch, got to series 3 so far.
....and Waywood Pines first series. Toby Jones stars with a really believable american accent, - according to my kentish ears anyway. Second series I thought was a let down.

I haven't watched any of this but this could be next.
By the way I've just finished the last ever episode of The Americans.
Once again many thanks to Ghostship for recommending this.

Really glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was brilliant and never let its standards slip through the five seasons. I'm amazed it seems to have stayed below the radar.

I enjoyed watching Dark, dubbed voices were done well enough to not spoil it.
I found I really needed to give it my full intention because of how it jumps between decades, I could easily watch it all again and find bits I missed first time.
I will give Stranger Things a go.
I also really enjoyed House Of Cards

I actually decided to watch it with subs as I was worried dubs would put me off..

Anyway I agree its not one to watch casually you need to concentrate

Back