Hazy pineapple wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolsox

Reaction score
I followed the recipe in C J J Berry's book for pineapple wine. All went well but it refuses to clear. I left it standing in a cool place, tried adding finings but it remains hazy.

Pineapple Wine by Coolsox, on Flickr

Are there any other trick I can try? If not, can it be drunk / stored cloudy?

you can drink it no problem, shouldnt effect the taste. It just doesnt look as good when you give it others to try.

You could also try a wine filterer, i use a harris vinbrite, there cheap and cheerful but do a great job of polishing wines. :thumb:

have had the same problem myself,advise given was,don't filter,you are just wasting filters,treat with "bentonite"?not sure of spelling,but just follow directions on packaging and leave for a few days,it will clear

How long has it been since you added the finings, and did you use pectolase at the start?

Bentonite could work (your spelling was correct Barry) but I don't see why it should be a protein problem, so I would suggest racking again and giving it a double whack of pectolase.

Moley said:
How long has it been since you added the finings, and did you use pectolase at the start?

Bentonite could work (your spelling was correct Barry) but I don't see why it should be a protein problem, so I would suggest racking again and giving it a double whack of pectolase.

Hi Moley, it's been around 2 1/2 weeks since I added the finings (the sachet stuff at Wilko's). I've had a slight fluffy looking sediment form, but the wine remains cloudy.

I didn't use any Pectolase at the time as JJ's recipe didn't specify it. I do have some now though but I thought it had to go in pre fermentation?

Coolsox said:
I didn't use any Pectolase at the time as JJ's recipe didn't specify it. I do have some now though but I thought it had to go in pre fermentation?
I would use pectolase from the start with any fruit or fruit juice based wine, whether the recipe specifies it or not.

Assuming that your problem is most likely to be a pectin haze, even if you have a wine filter that wouldn't be the answer. Rack your wine off the sediment the finings have thrown, take a sample in a (sterilised) jug, mug or glass, warm it slightly, stir in two tsps of pectolase, return that to the DJ and give it a gentle shake. Leave it somewhere warm for a week then move it somewhere cooler for a week or two and see if that does the trick.

Pineapple is a very pithy fruit so pectolase is a must, fair play though that DJ looks quite good without it :thumb:

If your giving it out to friends then I'd add some, but for personal consumption I just drink as is.

Agree with Moley I always use pectolase

I have to say I think Pineapples make great wine, I usually use carton juice when I make it, did you use fresh Pineapples? I'll have to try that :D.

I never use Pectolase in Pineapple juice wine and have never had problems with clearing, but it's only cheap so I add it to all fruit wines.

shadow47 said:
I have to say I think Pineapples make great wine, I usually use carton juice when I make it, did you use fresh Pineapples? I'll have to try that :D.

I never use Pectolase in Pineapple juice wine and have never had problems with clearing, but it's only cheap so I add it to all fruit wines.

J J Berry's recipe called for 6 pineapples I think, all boiled up. The whole lot smelled delicious!

The wine it has made tastes very good, extremely fruity and strong but as stated I can't get it to clear which is a shame. Have added some pectolase now as advised so we will wait and see.

Not sure if it helps does did you degass ur wine?

I made some wine and added finnings but didn't clear. Not really knowing what to do I racked it and noticed the fizz... So I degassed it and now its clearing nicely.

Hope it helps

Latest posts

Back