help with pineapple wine please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynorth

Reaction score
I would like to make a pineapple wine from carton juice but i cant seem to find any 5litre recipes.

Just wondering if this would work?

3litres pineapple juice 108.4g sugar per litre 325.2g total
2 litres water
1 tsp acid
1 tsp pectic enzyme
half mug strong tea
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp yeast

Can somebody tell me please how much granulated sugar i should include to make 12%-13% wine
say fermented down to 1.005.

Sorry for the stupid question but i cant get my head around the maths with sugar and hydrometers
but im trying........... :grin:

Thanks all

In my opinion, trying to stop a fermentation at a desired gravity like your 1.005 isn't a great idea. The yeasties may have made as much alcohol as you want but they haven't finished their job. In the process of fermentation they make things like aldehydes which might upset your guts and give you headaches. Give them time and they will clear all of the by-products away. Kill them prematurely and they can't.

So, start with a little bit less sugar, allow it to ferment out, stabilise and sweeten to taste.

If you want 12-13% abv you need a net OG around 1.090, which requires 240g sugar in the litre, x5 = 1200g total sugars. Subtract from that the known sugar content of your juices.

Are you trying to retain some pineapple flavour?

Thanks moley nice simple advice,

yeah i would love to keep as much flavour as poss,
any uncomplicated advice on how i could acheive this would be grateful

how does the recipe look???

(anybody got a copy of 'brewing for dummies')...... :hmm:

My suggestion would be one litre white grape juice, one litre pineapple juice, about 800g sugar, everything else you listed and water to 4 litres, give it a week and then add another litre of pineapple.

If you add a flavouring ingredient later in the fermentation, like when the gravity is down to 1.020ish, it retains far more of that flavour in the finished wine than if you threw everything in from the start.

I take no credit for that, it's just something I've read elsewhere on the interweb, tried and proved for myself.

Moley said:
If you add a flavouring ingredient later in the fermentation, like when the gravity is down to 1.020ish, it retains far more of that flavour in the finished wine than if you threw everything in from the start.

Even though you take no credit for the above advice, thanks anyway Moley. Its a great few lines which will vastly improve my juice wines in the future.

Yeah, a very handy tip!
Does it hold true for beers and ciders, too? And will it prolong fermentation by much?

Moley said:
My suggestion would be one litre white grape juice, one litre pineapple juice, about 800g sugar, everything else you listed and water to 4 litres, give it a week and then add another litre of pineapple.

I take no credit for that, it's just something I've read elsewhere on the interweb, tried and proved for myself.

The flavouring ingredient you mention is that the extra litre of pineapple after a week or is it something else????

Thanks again moley for your patients in answering my queries,

Scribblor: I've never tried adding late flavourings to beer and I don't make cider, but I would imagine it should work.

As to fermentation times, you're still using the same total amount of sugar, just starting with a bit less and adding some more later, so it shouldn't make a great deal of difference. It would probably take a bit longer, but what's normal anyway? As far as I'm concerned, the yeasties can take as long as they like, and then I'll always give them a bit longer.

Waynorth: Yes, I meant the second litre of pineapple.

Sorry to be pedantic but my (radiographer) wife has patients, I have patience ;)

Why add the tea? In what way does tea help? Or is that for you when you are brewing? :)

From the Wurzel's “How To”, also applies to cider:
Moley said:
PB10090704.jpg

Tannin gives wine a slight bite or astringency, but use it sparingly. Grape tannin is derived from grape skins and you should use half a teaspoonful. Alternatively, make a mug of strong black tea and use that.
PS: That's referring to quantities to the gallon.

I have made it very much as the Mole recommends (basically WOW, but substituting the orange for pineapple), and it's good, with quite a pronounced pineapple flavour. I made a gallon that was well received, so I made a further 4 gallons as Christmas presents, this time with a tannin addition made up of a mixture of Earl Grey and a spiced Christmas tea from Whittards, which has added further subtle complexities. I've now got a gallon on the go made from 2 liters pineapple and 2 litres red grape, to see how fruity I can get it. I'll report in 3 months or so.

FYI,

I made Pineapple wine from the WOW recipe and instead of Orange used Pineapple Juice.....tastes fantastic. SO much so gonna make 5 gallons this weekend...

look what I just picked up :-)

TwhNBjF.jpg

about 20 kilo, should get a few gallons from that lot :thumb:

EDIT:

so far the must is 20 litre but i will lose a lot when i filter

12 pineapple > peeled, cored and mashed
2 gallon water
juice of 6 orange
1 kilo sugar
1 kilo chopped saltana
4 crushed campden tabs

in 24 hours i will taste the must and measure the SG
then possible make some final adjustments and add the pectic enzyme

Update after 40 hours:
the must has started fermenting already, SG now is about 1060 so the wine will be something over 9% ABV
I think 9-10% will be good for pineapple, I made no change to the recipe posted above.

I agree, this makes a great wine. I have just corked a 2 month old pineapple WOW varient, but used 2 ltr of WGJ and 1 ltr pineapple, its delicious. I also added 3g of oak to one batch and SWMBO has hidden it :cheers:

If you like a sharp snap to the above, add around 1/2 ltr of grapefruit juice mid way through the ferment. Its not to everyones taste but I quite like the sharp taste, and it works well with the citric already added as per the basic WOW :thumb:

I have made this using 3 ltr WGJ and 1 ltr pineapple but was far too, erm, sickly I think is the word :wha:

Always been scared to make anything with pineapple, and never considered grapefruit juice, in case it came out far too acidic.

I'm just getting back into winemaking and starting off with free ingredients because I'm now a poor student again with no summer funding, but my funding starts again end of September, so I'll give this a go once I can afford to buy brewing stuff without OH complaining.

out of interest, would a pinapple WOW variation work with RGJ to make a nice rose/red

I would like to make a pineapple wine from carton juice but i cant seem to find any 5litre recipes.

Just wondering if this would work?

3litres pineapple juice 108.4g sugar per litre 325.2g total
2 litres water
1 tsp acid
1 tsp pectic enzyme
half mug strong tea
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp yeast

Can somebody tell me please how much granulated sugar i should include to make 12%-13% wine
say fermented down to 1.005.

Sorry for the stupid question but i cant get my head around the maths with sugar and hydrometers
but im trying........... :grin:

Thanks all
stabalizer and campden do not stop fermentation they are meant for use after the wine has finished to stop yeast multiplying. if you want sweet wine its better to back sweeten after fermentation try using stevia (truvia ) its none fermentable . Pineapples do not make nice wine

Latest posts

Back