Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archtronics

Regular.
Reaction score
By far one of my fav kits,

I brew using 1kg of med or dark spraymalt, has a vigorous fermentation that climbs out of the fermenter. Usually ready in a week to drink it is a fast session stout in my opinion, the flavours have a slight coffee taste to them but its somewhat of an easy drinker.

Would be interesting to try served by Nitrogen this is something I am hoping to mess around with.

Mark

anybody else run out of stout then drink something else while trawling the forums for stout posts?

@ Archtronics, it's also a firm favourite of mine, my brew isn't too different from yours and i completely agree with your review, although i brew it to 20l it is still indeed an easy drinker, although not so much for my girlfriend who prefers the dark ale ( ..actually i think i do too overall...maybe)

inspired of stout today i'm gonna get a coopers original stout paid for at tescoditect and pick it up monday for a 11.5 litre brew with some LME from my lhbs,'cos im thinking of trying one of them fancy brews, not coffe or choc though, maybe some vanilla and a dark sugar aswell... hmmm... :drink:

Put this kit on last sunday mixed a can of treacle in aswell its been going like mad all week hope it turns out ok :cheers:

All the coopers kits are excellent.How is it the Aussies make such good home brew kits but such dreadful p--s water beer ???.I use 1kg of dark spray malt with this kit and put it into two 12ltr barrels a CO2 sparklet gives it a good head.(ooooh missus !!) :cheers:

Iv got this on the go at the moment. Checked the f.g two days ago it was coming out as 4.4% going in a barrel today or tomorrow. Hope the abv has gone up a bit to around 5% but a mate of mine says 4.4% sounds about right. Thoughts anyone

:cheers:

I brewed mine with a 1.5kg can of Coopers Dark Malt Extract. Went off like a rocket, I thought it was going to take the lid off the bucket :shock: Fermented right out to 1.010, lower than any beer kit I've brewed, and worked out at 4.4%.

Very nice after a week or two conditioning but a significant improvement when left for 6 weeks and more in the bottles: it just got better and better, then I ran out :cry: Worth the wait if you've got the patience. Definately going to do this one again and bottle the lot. Just done an Edme stout the same way, so it'll be an interesting comparison.

darrellm said:
I brewed mine with a 1.5kg can of Coopers Dark Malt Extract. Went off like a rocket, I thought it was going to take the lid off the bucket :shock: Fermented right out to 1.010, lower than any beer kit I've brewed, and worked out at 4.4%.

Very nice after a week or two conditioning but a significant improvement when left for 6 weeks and more in the bottles: it just got better and better, then I ran out :cry: Worth the wait if you've got the patience. Definately going to do this one again and bottle the lot. Just done an Edme stout the same way, so it'll be an interesting comparison.

Hi darrellm. I just added a bag of Tate n Lyle that's all i ever use [must be more adventurous] I must have had a higher starting gravity then you as it started at 1048 but i had two consecutive days at 1015 so barreled it.

Going by your review i can't wait and I'll have a sneaky half pint after a week. As you do :whistle:

Brewed this on 23/02, and left it to ferment for 12 days. Batch primed with 155g sugar and bottled. Left to carbonate for 12 days. Had another one of these last night, and the flavour just gets better and better.

Brewed it with 1.5kg Dark DME and 500g muscavado sugar with an OG of 1.061 and an FG of 1.009, giving it an ABV of 6.8%. Documented here.

One thing I've noticed with my brew, is that for a better velvety head, keep it in the fridge a little longer, and wait about 5 mins before drinking after pouring...

Superb pint, and will look at making some more soon...

As it happens I'm brewing this one tomorrow, I was gonna go with 500g of dark DME, a tin of dark treacle and make up to the desired ABV ( around 5.5 % ) with Demerara sugar..what do you guys think this will turn out like ? I could go with all DME as I have the ingredients in but just wanted to mess about a bit.

Cheers

Mine's in the fermenter now, krausen pushing on the bucket lid already.

1 x kit can
1 x can 1.5kg of Cooper's dark LME (couldn't find any dark DME)
Half a tin of black treacle - the other half (slightly less) will be used for priming.

My first kit since I got my AG stuff together, but the last one was so good.

Pawlo7671 said:
As it happens I'm brewing this one tomorrow, I was gonna go with 500g of dark DME, a tin of dark treacle and make up to the desired ABV ( around 5.5 % ) with Demerara sugar..what do you guys think this will turn out like ? I could go with all DME as I have the ingredients in but just wanted to mess about a bit.

Cheers

Well I brewed it as above, I don't think I hit the desired ABV but not far of ( around 5% ) it's been in the FV for two weeks, after taking a sample for taste and FG it's ready to bottle, taste wise it's bloody good at only two weeks old, I can't wait for this to age a bit, it's gonna be far better than some of the commercial stouts, very pleased seeing as tho it only owes me about 45p/pint.
Deffinatly a brew again beer !

Got 1kg standard enhancer for mine, just brewing it normally. How does this rate compared to guinness, and is there anything simple I could do to push it towards a guinness? Not a big stout drinker, but picked it up in the great tesco gold rush, the advantage there being it'll probably be drunk slowly, meaning it's got time to get better and better :)

Depends on your opnion, but the wife said only last night that this stuff is much better than Guinness, which I ted to agree with, although I'm not a massive Guinness drinker.

Having brewed a few Original Stouts now, definately think that brewing it with a tin of Dark malt Extract rather than enhancer or just sugar gives it the edge.

I can imagine, but I'm certainly happy to have it on the boring side, as i've probably had 3 pints of stout in my life...so this is all quite new and i'm hoping it's forgiving :p

I see coopers also do an irish stout so i'm not pinning any hopes of a guinness on this now. my dad reakons he used to make john bull stout decades ago, and that wasn't like guinness either, more like a porter - sweeter.

still, I won't complain, I'm open minded! thanks for the reply :)

I'm not a big stout drinker either but more recently have had a guinness or two, and after tasting my coopers irish stout straight from the FV it immediately reminded me of guinness. I'm sure more regular drinkers of the black stuff could describe exactly why it's different but to the casual drinker it's certainly in that style :thumb:

Put mine on last night. After aeration there was about 6 inches of froth, I took this as an omen and attached a blow off tube, and wrapped it in a bin bag in case of explosions! Lol. Fermenting nicely now

So yup, I was right! this went nuts and fermented out in under 3 days. blow off tube was a good idea.

Brewed to 21L with 1kg enhancer instead of 1kg sugar. I'm not a big stout man, so was prepared for the worst, and had planned to age this.

Not happening! Despite the fact it's not clear (well, apparent) it tastes brilliant already. The flavours are deep but mild, the body is lovely and the bitterness is very inoffensive. I'd be surprised if this lasts a month.

59d07968c2e911e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

1cc48b60c2f611e1af7612313813f8e8_7.jpg

OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

I've just bottled mine. I made it with 1/2kg medium DME, a jar of golden syrup and a tin of black treacle. It went like the clappers (there's a pattern here) for about 3 days, then continued for another 2 or 3. I left it for another week for the yeast to finish and clear up after itself.

7985005566_30724e415e.jpg

Initial tastes are of a hint of sweetness, but a good roasted flavour, probably due to the treacle. No nasty aftertaste, but a little twang which should disappear with ageing. It made 35 pints, and has come out at about 5% ABV, so should be lovely just in time for Crimbo.

Again, another decent result from a Coopers kit - I haven't had a bad one yet.

iv just finished this brew and it taste sour has any body else found this? or has some thing gone wrong? :(

Latest posts

Back