a simple cleaning aid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PD

Landlord.
Reaction score
I try to be thorough in my cleaning and sterilising routine. Kit Brewing to All Grain Brewing its a procedure that's essential to the success of beer making.
Everyone has their preferred cleaning solution from bleach, sodium Met. VWP and all have their own good points and not so good points.
Most of these liquids rely on being in contact with the surface of the vessel be it bucket or fermenter.
Now a fermenter is a large vessel and it takes a lot of liquid/cleaning solution to fill it up so all the sides are reached by the liquid to effect its cleaning and sterilisation.
To remove heavy cruds and debris it can't be helped and even occasionally its necessary to completely fill the big vessel and leave to soak for a period ( taking the opportunity to bung in everything else ( syphon tubes measuring jugs hydrometers and trial jars etc )
However there are many occasions when a quick rinse over with the solution is all that's needed, and its rather a waste to make up over 20 litres of the rather expensive stuff. You can of course make up a little solution and swill it around and that's where I have problems, Swilling a large fermenting vessel with a few litres of liquid in, I invariably end up with me looking like I'm living up to my forum name ! Piddledribble I ALWAYS swill it out of the container and down the front of my trousers !! So I've purchased an aid to stop me looking like an incontinent wrinkly.
A common easily obtained decorating sponge... Yes I know its not high tech or sexy but it does the job well. A few litres of cleaner in the fv and in with the sponge to rub and clean and more importantly WET all the sides of the vessel. I do this often within the 20 min. soak making sure all parts get a good coating of the cleaner.
One large decorating sponge cut into half or thirds is not an expensive item. Each piece can be used several times before being discarded.
It makes cleaning large vessels that much easier, and my trousers remain dry.... Usually.

Good tip :thumb:
I'm a fan of videne also in a spray bottle gets into all the nooks and crannys could make a litre up in a bottle then Do like you do with the sponge aswell

Here's another one...

...if you use the Youngs 23l FVs. Just buy a spare lid, one without an airlock hole. :thumb:

You can swirl and swish and swill to your heart's content without fear of a chlorine shower.

I have one of those with out the hole, and can confidently say you can still get soaked swishing unless you have a very good clamp on the lid!!

Soak the kitchen trying this one day !! :whistle:

A couple of litres of hot water into a fermenting bucket/better bottle.
Add a few tablespoons of washing soda and a minute amount of unscented washing up liquid.
Add in a non-abrasive microfibre cleaning cloth.
Swirl with lid on. If there's a hole in the lid I plug it with blue roll.

Attack any stubborn grime with the microfibre cloth and elbow grease.

That's what I do. A catering sink in the garage helps!

Stuart

Latest posts

Back